Sign in to follow this  

Spark plug questions

1)

Recently there was a thread where someona asked about reusing a sparkplug that had died due to excessive oil on a 2 stroke.

The general consencuss (sp?) was that it wasn´t possible, yet i remembered that a couple of friends did just that by breaking what they called "the ceramic part" of the sparkplug.

What exactly did they do? Can a modified sparkplug like that be dangerous or damage something?

2)

They also swapped the resistance(sp?) from one plug to another.

This might come handy to me since where i live BR8 plugs are scarse i have a couple of b8 plugs (without the resistance, and i wondered if i could take it off from an old plug i have there laying around).

What is the resistance there for? safety longer life?

As far as cleaning and reusing a fouled plug, I've never had much luck with it. Won't hurt anything, just may not fire even after cleaning. As far as breaking off part of the ceramic and trying to use it, no, don't do that.

Some bikes you can use a non resistor plug in, most you can't. Using the non resistor plug can mess with the CDI, and I have heard of cases where it HAS caused damage. The resistor part of the plug is internal, never heard of a way to make a non resistor plug into a resistor type.

Unless your riding a bike that calls for a B8 plug, you'd be safer sticking with a BR8 version.