Sign in to follow this  

'09 fork alignment

twisted the front end on the KX after a crash and need to get everything lined up. my race buddy suggested i loosen the big nut on the top triple and the lower triple bolts (need to remember if there was something else. i'm looking for torque specs for the front end but not having any luck. i'm not close enough to a kawasaki dealer to go buy a service manual and can't find a .pdf download (even check kawis site). if someone has more knowledge of my fix or has the torque specs for the triples, axle, and pinch bolts i'd appreciate it. hoping to get a ride in tomorrow... thanks!

By twisted the front end I assume you mean that the bars and the front wheel don't line up? Here's what I do. Loosen the axle bolt and pinch bolts. Find something solid and with the bars slam the front wheel into it until everythng lines up. I think the axle nut is 58lbs and the pinch bolts are 15lbs. Might be wrong but thats how I do it.

OK, here's the deal:

You can have twisted:

- bars (twisted mounts, rotating on the cups)

- twisted triple clamps (tubes slipping in the triple trees)

- miss-aligned forks (which is an install proedure)

If you are talking about the bars not lining up with the top clamp, you have to use a large piece of pipe on the end of the bar and torque it back into place. That's the fastest and easiest way.

- you slip a piece of 1.5" EMT over the end of the bar, put the bars in full lock, and torque the bars back into place. You are just re-aligning the cones on the triple clamp.

The other method is to loosen the cone nuts, and use a sledge hammer and wood too re-align the bar clamps.

If you are talking about the fender not lining up with the tire, that's the triple clamps. Loosen all triple bolts and re-align.

If you are talking about the forks being mis-aligned relative to the wheel, (almost always the right side) you just have to loosen the right axle pinch bolts, spin the front tire fast, and slam on the brakes several times. That will put the right tube straight again. You might have to lube the axle portion under the pinch bolts, if its' dry.

damn you guys are good. gotta cut me some slack since i'm still learning. haha! by twisted i meant when the handlebar is straight the wheel is pointed slightly to the left. now i need to go out and check all those scenarios. thanks again!

oh...anyone know what the torque should be for the pinch bolts on the triples?

I can email you the 09 450 manual if you want it. Give me your email adress in a PM.

Be paranoid about having the upper fork tubes clamped perfectly parallel to each other, and axle perfectly square to the for tubes. It can make a huge difference to the plushness of the forks. There's ample posts on TT about getting them straight.

If you twist the font end up, and put it straight again, some dirt or dust often gets onto the fork tube clamping surfaces, which means more wear/damage and/or more easily slipping next time you crash with the proper 20nm on the pinch bolts. If in doubt then remove the tubes and clean those surfaces with some brake cleaner and a scrotch brite pad.

Every 80 hrs or so, put some new bar mount rubber cones in. Also new washers under the cones. Clean the cone holes in the upper triple and also the bar clamping surfaces using some steel wool. I put silicone spray on the new cones so they can move just a little. So when I crash (often), bar bars might be out of whack (fixed in seconds) but my forks usually stay true.