Sign in to follow this  

Anyone one driven 150 and 250 sx?

I am about to buy a 2012 150sx but have lingering worries that the 250 might be funner for me. And that's what I want is fun... but power is nice as well.

I am after a light flickable bike the is easy to move around in the air and on the ground. I was orig looking at a Yz125 because of wanting that light bike but I settle on the 150 because it is light and has a stronger motor. I'm 200-220 lbs so the extra power and torque of the KTM swayed me. Not to mention the looks and quality and hydraulic clutch ect.

So... with that said... what does riding a 250sx feel like compared to a 150? Can you feel the extra weight of the 250? What are the weights of both anyway?

Thanks.

That is a tough one! Yes you can feel the weight difference between the two. If your priorities are light flick-able then the 150 is the one but that 250 is a bad ass as well. Demo both and make the call for what is best for you.

Joe........

Hi Joe,

I'm not certain if this shop will let me demo both. I highly doubt that would allow me to boot up and down the street or anything like that. Is that what you mean by demo both?

I have sat on the 2012 150xc and wobbled it back and forth and it felt good. Soon they will be getting the 150sx and 250sx in stock and I will be able to sit on the 250 and see what it feels like. I think they said November they will arrive.

It's such a difficult choice to make because I have never drove a 125 or 150 motocrosser before. I worry I will not be happy with the 150 power to the point where I would prefer the extra weight of the 250 just so I can have the power. I have watched videos of the 150sx and in many videos it doesn't seem to be lacking power but in other vids it doesn't seem to accelerate as quickly as I feel it should.

Seeing a drag race between the two would be nice. Then I could know for sure what the 150's acceleration is like compared to a 250.

You say your about 210lbs. At that weight, I would get the 250. But if you just plan to play ride and not race, the 150 should be fine. The 150 has plenty of power and is a blast to ride but you will be ringing its neck at 200+lbs.

I will say this, a 150 rode like it should be will outperform a 250 four stroke. Thats just my personal opinion. That being said, the 250sx will murder both in terms of power.

Rode my friends 150 and was amazed how narrow the powerband was. I have read how much more the low end the 150 has than the 125 but I didn't feel it. It was on or off powerband. Now the 250 is a different story.

Rode my friends 150 and was amazed how narrow the powerband was. I have read how much more the low end the 150 has than the 125 but I didn't feel it. It was on or off powerband. Now the 250 is a different story.

I've seen people post that as well but can't say I agree with it at all. The 144/150 is a noticeable difference between the 125 in lugable power and will pull the 125 on top. I've rode the 125 and 150 back to back and there is for sure a difference. Now there is a lot that can be done with tuning the power valve and other things that can be changed to get the desired traits. I would not say there is a ton more low end but it is a nice added bit.

Joe.......

There is nothing that compares to a small bore two-stroke in weight and feel. However, the 250sx is not too far off in regard to wheels on the ground weight feel. The extra weight is more noticeable in the air. The main difference between the two bikes in feel/weight to me is that once a 250 gets going in a direction it tends to continue in that direction for a moment. Although it is still agile it just doesn't have that abilty to crack the throttle wide open and ski around the track with a few weight changes. It just takes a bit more to adjust direction, but then again you have more motor to help with that extra weight/inertia.

Personally, I like the larger bore two-stroke for its ability to be ridden in a lower rpm. I'm fairly light and can appreciate the flickability of the small bore, but there just isn't that big a difference to me to not have the extra motor.

nothing is more fun to ride than my 150, had many 200's , a 250,a 144,a 450 and have ridden the a new 350, but nothing in my eyes has been more fun than the 144\150 small bores , just my lame opinion but they fit my riding style better than the anything else good luck on makiing your decision, both are great bikes

Rode a 2012 150 and wow. I liked it so much I went out and put money down on a 250 sx. I'm just a little to big for the 150

Edited by madday

I have both (2011's) and ride both often and here's how it shakes down for me (175lb. Vet B rider).

After I ride the 250 for a couple rides in a row, I'll hesitate to take the 150 out thinking that I'll end up wanting the 250 power instead. However; each time I ride the 150, that thought never crosses my mind again during the ride as the bike is just so flippin fun. I then usually end up staying on the 150 on normal practice days as i feel it improves my riding and just simply gets the job done while I'm having so much fun running down 4T 250's and pissing them off since they just cant pull me down straights and certainly cant out-handle or out-brake the 150.

As for the 250's weight and flickability: Yes, you can feel the weight and inertia difference between the 150 and 250 and its somewhat significant in rider feedback. The 250 has to be respected much more as its power is tougher to manage. It certainly has a tendency to pull the wheel off the ground often if you are ham-fisted or are late to keep your weight well forward when applying power. The 150's power while plentiful, does not have the rip-your-arms out of your socket feel which makes staying ahead of the bike easier.

Now I'm not bashing the 250 at all, its my go-to bike when racing and I love the incredibly low weight and horsepower. Compared to riding a 4t 250 or 450, its super light, flickable, and still a blast to ride...it fits the racing mission to a tee. But for pure fun, the 150 is the hands down winner between the two bikes. The 150 has an amazing top-end (def more than the 250, i think 1100rpm's) which allows you to ring the snot out of the bike and it'll just keep pulling giving you an incredible sensation of control and speed which = A grin ear to ear.

The decision you have to make is not simple, since both are incredible machines. I had trouble deciding myself since I couldn't find the answer to these same questions and was lucky enough to be in a position in life that I didn't have to decide on which one.

Best wishes with your decision, hope this helps.

I have both (2011's) and ride both often and here's how it shakes down for me (175lb. Vet B rider).

After I ride the 250 for a couple rides in a row, I'll hesitate to take the 150 out thinking that I'll end up wanting the 250 power instead. However; each time I ride the 150, that thought never crosses my mind again during the ride as the bike is just so flippin fun. I then usually end up staying on the 150 on normal practice days as i feel it improves my riding and just simply gets the job done while I'm having so much fun running down 4T 250's and pissing them off since they just cant pull me down straights and certainly cant out-handle or out-brake the 150.

As for the 250's weight and flickability: Yes, you can feel the weight and inertia difference between the 150 and 250 and its somewhat significant in rider feedback. The 250 has to be respected much more as its power is tougher to manage. It certainly has a tendency to pull the wheel off the ground often if you are ham-fisted or are late to keep your weight well forward when applying power. The 150's power while plentiful, does not have the rip-your-arms out of your socket feel which makes staying ahead of the bike easier.

Now I'm not bashing the 250 at all, its my go-to bike when racing and I love the incredibly low weight and horsepower. Compared to riding a 4t 250 or 450, its super light, flickable, and still a blast to ride...it fits the racing mission to a tee. But for pure fun, the 150 is the hands down winner between the two bikes. The 150 has an amazing top-end (def more than the 250, i think 1100rpm's) which allows you to ring the snot out of the bike and it'll just keep pulling giving you an incredible sensation of control and speed which = A grin ear to ear.

The decision you have to make is not simple, since both are incredible machines. I had trouble deciding myself since I couldn't find the answer to these same questions and was lucky enough to be in a position in life that I didn't have to decide on which one.

perfect answer and i agree 100%

Good write up. 150's/144's are a blast for sure.

Great comparison and write up, tdrewk. I have been flip flopping between the yz125, 150sx and 250sx for a month. The more I learn about the bikes the more I lean to the 150sx but someone made the comment that the 150's power band was super narrow and off I went worrying that I would regret buying it.

I have to keep reminding myself what it is I'm after and it isn't power... not entirely. I know it won't have the torque of a 250 but the power band of the 150 can't be 'that' narrow that I wont enjoy riding it. I understand that if I want to go fast I will have to worker harder and stir the gear box but that actually sounds fun when I think about it. I'm not out to win any races or blow the next guy away. I also need to remember why I got the idea of a 125/150 in the first place... to experience a high revving light weight motocrosser in corners and jumps ect and stop worrying that I am going to miss this and that.

I will go put some money down on the 150 soon and look forward to spring.

Edited by Stillhavetimeleft

tdrewk wrote exactly how I feel. I have a 09 150sx and a 12 250sx, the 150 is the funnest bike to ride.

dont take this wrong, 200-220 is little much for a 150 ccbike, , as strong as you are a 450 should be "flickable"

dont take this wrong, 200-220 is little much for a 150 ccbike, , as strong as you are a 450 should be "flickable"

Negative.

Plenty of 200+ riders on the 125's. I'm one of them.

And a 450 will never be "flickable", I don't care how strong you are.

Negative.

Plenty of 200+ riders on the 125's. I'm one of them.

And a 450 will never be "flickable", I don't care how strong you are.

Ya, was about to comment the same thoughts when I saw your response. I'm no longer concerned about it. I'm certain the bike will be exactly what I am hoping for.

220lbs on a 150 will certainly put you at a disadvantage if you are racing no doubt, but that doesn't seem to be a concern for your mission. I'd def recommend going up several springs rates in the forks and shock though, as a stock 150 is not setup for anyone over 150-160lbs. At 175lbs, I went up to a .44 fork spring and .66 shock spring and I'm thinking you should go with at least a .48 up front (maybe .50) and .72 or .76 on the rear...then you'll be suspended right