Sign in to follow this  

what to say to get plush (not mush) and where?

Hi everyone,

I am about to buy a 2012 KTM 150sx (possibly a 250) and at 220lbs I will need to have the suspension sent off. I need plush yet controlled suspension. I despise harshness in suspension. I want a bike that will gobble up and absorb chop and braking/accel bumps ect without transferring too much of it to the bars.

I ride a local sand track in Ottawa, Ontario. It's not bottomless beach sand or anything like that but over the day it will develop ruts and roughness and breaking bumps ect. I am 41 and want a bike that will be fun and not wear me out. I would say I am medium fast when comparing myself to others at the track. Certainly won't be winning any races, just a weekend warrior.

Firstly, I am not familiar with WP suspension and the 2012 sx's have linkage now. Is there a company that is well known for working in WP and getting great results?

Secondly, is there anything specific I should say to them to get this type of plush suspension?

Thanks,

Spring it stiffly, valve relatively softly. Best best.

But ride em first - you might be surprised by those bikes..

I need plush yet controlled suspension. I despise harshness in suspension. I want a bike that will gobble up and absorb chop and braking/accel bumps ect without transferring too much of it to the bars.

Thats what everyone wants 👍

I suggest you ride your bike about 10 hours and test your suspension.

Try to figure out how the bike behaves through different types of bumps. Big smooth one, small square egded stuff.

Then tell the tuner what you liked and what you didnt like.

10 hous because after this time your suspension needs a service anyway. All the metal wear from the run in time has to get out there.

ktm is getting it much better from 2011 onwards 👍

Can I really make accurate realizations when I am 220lbs without gear and the bike is seriously under sprung for me?

Well, you should get the right springs first, yes.

So if you are able to change them by yourself and ride them to figure out what's not like you want it to be, that would be the simplest way to go.

yea, the ktm's have gotten better the past few years. the float can be tightened up a bit, and you could take some of the hs out of the bv. if you re-spring for your weight, you'd be pretty happy with the results. now, i think on the '12's they have linkage all around. so the shock will be different between the two (link/non-link) models. you'll need springs, and more rebound to start on the shock.

ok, I think I will spring for my weight and leave the stacks alone and ride it like that for a few weeks. If I feel there are characteristics I dont like and I cant tune out with clickers then I will send them off.

Now, can you guys tell me who is best known for producing good results with WP and ktm's?

I have a friend who has been testing valving for several weeks on that exact bike, with an "A" rider who is probably 200 lbs w/o gear. I don't think he valves for the general public but he will have some good info. I'll point out this post to him. They've got some fork valving that has been working great. He will probably chime in eventually. As I understand it, the settings they have (5 different ones) have been for desert racing mostly, but he also has rocky singletrack settings under development.

Accoring to the rider, the stock wp forks work fairly well but feel a little unstable on trail junk. They've worked that out without making it mushy through the rest of the stroke. They've also got an A speed and B speed valving for that fork. The rider told me yesterday that he prefers the B setting for any non-racing conditions.

As the other posts have said, spring it for your weight, then ride it a while. Replacing the springs is easy, even if you have never done it. The only special tool is a fork cap wrench. You'll probably like the new wp stuff in stock form but it can be improved.

Try starting with just new springs as others have suggested. You need to ride it with the stock valving for a while before you can arrive at any conclusions about what you want it to do differently. For a sand track I think you can do better than the stock valving, but again just ride for a while and see what you notice.

There is no one tuner that has the "magic setup" (though they will all tell you they do...). Generally tuners have their own philosophy about setup and adapt that philosophy to a variety of applications. But to get something that works for you, you will have to know what you are looking for. Otherwise it is just a guess based on someone else's opinion (and bike, terrain, speed, etc.).

Seems like you have an idea what you're looking for already. The more specific you can be the easier it will be for any tuner to work with you. There should be plenty of room for improvement over the stock spec,but you have to know what to complain about first 👍

KTM WP suspension send it to MX TECH have a open wallet and you wont ever be looking back and wondering if I should have sent it to that company or that one, and you will saying what im saying to you about mx tech and ktm suspension theres no one better out there

ok, I think I will spring for my weight and leave the stacks alone and ride it like that for a few weeks. If I feel there are characteristics I dont like and I cant tune out with clickers then I will send them off.

Now, can you guys tell me who is best known for producing good results with WP and ktm's?

www.ccycle.com

This guy is a pro and sets up for the pros! I just bought a Beta and I did what you say above. I am a little heavier than you. I just finished respringing. I put 2 hours on Sunday playing with clickers and another on Monday. The bike is unbelievable. The stock valving that Beta puts out is very good. KTM, I am sure as well. just spring and fine tune. Then who knows!