Sign in to follow this  

02 CR250 gas mixture

Find out what mix ratio the previous owner had it jetted for if possible, most are in the range of 32:1 to 40:1 depending on type of riding and type of oil used. Get a ratio rite cup from your local bike shop.

It could be due to location but i see alot of people running their bikes on here really rich. I live and PA and i have a 02 CR and i run mine a 50:1 and the bike runs really good at that ratio. Am i running it too lean or is it just location i mean all of my buddies are running that ratio as well with good results?

most of us run around 32:1 so we dont have to replace parts as often

depends what kind of riding you do. if your trail riding and not reving very high for very long, then you really dont need to mix 32:1 with a thick oil.

32:1, keeps all parts lubed, jetted correctly never fouls a plug, has just enough smoke to give everyone a good whiff, and new pistons at 80hrs are no problem( rering every 40).

I'm no racer but we do ride a lot of sand

Good luck w/ that choppertown. I had a ring failure at 50hrs once. I learned my lesson the hard way. I had a friend get a few hundred hrs on a piston and rings, he weighs 125lbs and rides mostly woods. I am a lot bigger and tend to wring my bike a bit more.

my first 2 stroke and have no idea 32:1?

Honda recommends 32:1. I'd suggest getting the manual for the bike, as you will need it quite a bit.

I've always ran 32:1and never had issues. 53hrs on a set of rings showed no blow by.

recently switched to 24:1. no seat of the pants power increase from an extra ring seal and still have no spooge.

to each his own but I think im going to keep running 24:1 for peace of mind. the more oil the better IMO. its not gonna hurt my pocket book.

Honda recommends 32:1. I'd suggest getting the manual for the bike, as you will need it quite a bit.

I've always ran 32:1and never had issues. 53hrs on a set of rings showed no blow by.

recently switched to 24:1. no seat of the pants power increase from an extra ring seal and still have no spooge.

to each his own but I think im going to keep running 24:1 for peace of mind. the more oil the better IMO. its not gonna hurt my pocket book.

Curious if you needed to rejet for the change to 24:1

This tech article from Maxima has been posted many times, but it's a good read on 2t oil ratios.

http://www.maximausa.com/tech-tips/oil-migration.php

Most of the guys I ride with run 40:1, which has proven to do a fine job for the woods riding we do, I run 32:1 for a little added insurance. 32:1 with a high quality synthetic premix (I use Maxima Formula K2) should cover most needs.

Curious if you needed to rejet for the change to 24:1

the bike felt the same at 24:1 as it did at 32:1. a plug check also looked the same, because of this I saw no reason to change jets.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that I think you will need a much bigger ratio swing to have a noticible effect on jetting.

I'm really looking forward to my next top end so I can check residual oil build up in the cases. I like to experiment.

This tech article from Maxima has been posted many times, but it's a good read on 2t oil ratios.

http://www.maximausa.com/tech-tips/oil-migration.php

Most of the guys I ride with run 40:1, which has proven to do a fine job for the woods riding we do, I run 32:1 for a little added insurance. 32:1 with a high quality synthetic premix (I use Maxima Formula K2) should cover most needs.

I've seen that article before and still have a hard time grasping why 600 seconds (10 mins) is considered an allowable amount of time for oil to migrate through the entire engine. I prefer the numbers for the 25:1 mix much more.

I hope the people that run 60:1 really warm up their bikes and let the oil get everywhere before they start ripping. can't say I know anyone that will let their 2 stroke idle for 10 mins before riding off.

I could be misunderstanding the article but their charts don't justify their conclusion in my opinion.

MC-1 @ the recc'd 50:1---28yrs of mx, sand pits, woods, you name it. Superb results on everything from air-cooled tiddlers to big-bore 250's.