are fuel injected bikes not good for woods?

i have heard a few tak about to much instant throttle response on efi bikes in single track riding. is this true? all my 450r's have had really low gearing for this tight sections (13/53 gearing). will it be the same as that?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

put your 4 stroke efi upside down in a water crossing.2 stroke, carb,=no better way.

Why would I do that?

BTW, my buddy and I both swamped our bikes in a backwater. His a KTM 300 EXC and mine a Husky TE450. we both pushed our bikes back to the truck. When I got home I pulled the spark plug, put the battery charger on it and used the e-start to pump the water out. Then I put the plug in and cranked it over until it started. Changed the oil and was good to go. My buddy tried to kick his over, and the kickstarter would move by hand, no more compression. He had to change the piston, hone the cylinder, and spent hours clearing silt. Another buddy on a KTM 300EXC swamped in the same river and siezed the conn rod bearing.

two stroke or for doesn't matter. if you swamp your bike, you are rolling the dice.

ok, thanks for the replies. i guess people were just saying the power comes on to hard and fast

Have ridden a 11 YZ450F on ST. Power did come on fast and too strong for me. You could prolly get used to it. I was twisting throttle on ST with a 250F mindset. I could adapt but the 11 YZ2502T gave better traction for me vice the FI bike. Both had Rekluses too.

Why would I do that?

BTW, my buddy and I both swamped our bikes in a backwater. His a KTM 300 EXC and mine a Husky TE450. we both pushed our bikes back to the truck. When I got home I pulled the spark plug, put the battery charger on it and used the e-start to pump the water out. Then I put the plug in and cranked it over until it started. Changed the oil and was good to go. My buddy tried to kick his over, and the kickstarter would move by hand, no more compression. He had to change the piston, hone the cylinder, and spent hours clearing silt. Another buddy on a KTM 300EXC swamped in the same river and siezed the conn rod bearing.

two stroke or for doesn't matter. if you swamp your bike, you are rolling the dice.

umm.ya.you pushed the 4 stroke back because you had to.the 2 stroke just has to be cleaned of water and you can keep riding the rest of the day.

you start off saying why would i do that then in the next sentence you say "btw my buddy and i both swamped(drowned out in a water crossing).it,s the same thing.sheez:bonk:

as far as your friends wrecking thier bikes,they don,t know how to properly clear a 2 stoke of water.it,s easy and causes no damage if done right.i to have ridden with people who cleared out a 2 stroke and then seized it.the idiot gets the bike sarted after clearing the water and then procedes to hold it wide open.duh.cold motor no lube in the bottomend yet.

my brotherinlaws bike was lost in 12 feet of water for 7 days.we retreived it,cleaned the air filter and fuel system (after removing water from engine.changed gear oil a couple of times and relubed all the suspension.i did that work at our camp site.he rode the bike all weekend,never missed a beat.

i,ve been with many other riders who,ve drowned out a 2 stroke and with proper water clearing you have no issue.i know i won,t ride a 4 stroke offroad anymore(not where i ride).desert might be o.k.when i had my 4 stoke for offroad i was too nervous on water crossings,with the 2 stroke it,s no sweat.

i have heard a few tak about to much instant throttle response on efi bikes in single track riding. is this true? all my 450r's have had really low gearing for this tight sections (13/53 gearing). will it be the same as that?

It's not the EFI, its just that 450rs are no good for woods. Way too much power to be fighting with all day, and faster throttle response just makes it that much worse.

JayC

CJ_WAI,

If your bottom end seals were tight and the oil fill cap was tight - how does water enter the transmission of a two stroke? Just curious. ?

Crankcase breather tube...

I have ridden a few 2010 and 2011 YZ450's and I can say that the power is very abrupt and the throttle response is so fast that a NOOB would be in way over their head. With a proper tuned auto clutch it helps you manage it a lot. I would recomend a "precision" ratio throttle tube if you still are having trouble with it...

CJ_WAI,

If your bottom end seals were tight and the oil fill cap was tight - how does water enter the transmission of a two stroke? Just curious. ?

it usually doesn,t get in if you dump and then pick it up right away.the gear oil is rarely cloudy.you do know there is a vent hose comeing from your gear box?

now the bike that was in the river for a week,well that was full of water so a few oil changes required.

it usually doesn,t get in if you dump and then pick it up right away.the gear oil is rarely cloudy.you do know there is a vent hose comeing from your gear box?

now the bike that was in the river for a week,well that was full of water so a few oil changes required.

Am remembering now. Been a few years without two stroke. One I have now awaits cylinder so haven't rode. ?

I vehemently disagree with those who say FI is as good as carb, esp in the woods or at slower speeds. I own an FI bike, KTM 690 and it is a snatchy (when compared to my carbed 450x), pain in the butt to ride at anything below 10 miles per hour. Its not like it's an off-on switch with the throttle but it takes alot of concentration cmpared to the smooth power delivery of the carbed bikes I've had. Not to mention FI just isn't as reliable as a carb. When was the last time you had a carb break or cut out on you?

Given the choice, I would stick with a carbed bike for any type of low speed or technical riding.

The problem with carbs in tight technical is the stalling issue due to the accelerator pump. Once you adjust to the lightning fast throttle response FI is a major benefit in my opinion. If you add in an auto clutch it just magnifies the weak link. You cant have a carb setup work best in tight stuff without it suffering in other situations (especially MX). So you have to do what I do, have more than one bike setup for different things (if you are as picky as I am when it comes to perfect tune). If you are the jet it once year around type of guy that you wont care...