Sign in to follow this  

Help with chain slack adjustment.

I just put about 3000 miles on my bike, and since I ride about a mile everyday to work I have noticed the chain looks a little slacked. What is the proper way to adjust it? and what is the best way to prevent rust from getting on the chain.

Sit on the bike..

Bend over to your left while sitting on it and place your fingers below the bottom part of the chain about midway along the swingarm..Lift the chain up towards you..You should have about an inch or so of slack when seated,,bounce up and down on the seat,,the inch should remain.

Used engine oil or some sort of expensive spray will do for the chain..I use a bit of CRC or a mixture of kero and used oil in a bottle..bit messy but I don't worry about a bit of flying oil..A ride or a spin up on the bike stand plus rag soon sorts out overspray..The used oil/kero mix would possibly not be suitable for the fastidious owner/cleaner..

I think for the L you should have total slack of 1 5/8 inches..or a tad more 1 3/4 inches.

A tight chain on the L will wear your counter shaft out.

You need some slack...there's no cush hub on it.

right now i think it is about three inches how do i properly tighen the chain up. i have never done it before.

right now i think it is about three inches how do i properly tighen the chain up. i have never done it before.

Go to the FAQ section and use the 1993 XR650L manual link.

If your bike is newer it doesn't matter, it's just has a different color scheme. :ride:

👍

As Horri said above, it's important that you check your chain slack under tension. I didn't know this when I was first doing this, and I don't recall anything I read in the manual telling me to do this, so I was riding with my chain at 1.5-2" slack,as it stood on it's sidestand.

Fortunately, I soon was told the proper way and I don't think I damaged anything.

My XRL manual says to set chain slack between something just shy of 1.5 inches, to something just shy of 2 inches ( I don't recall the exact fraction, but that's close enough).

I have a hard time checking while sitting on the bike, so I just lay across the seat sideways. That puts most of my weight on the bike, and makes it easier to feel and see the chain.

And, as also stated, a tiny bit loose is preferable to a little bit tight.

I have found that the best way to find the proper chain slack for any bike is to completely compress the rear suspension and adjust the chain so that there is about 1/4" of slack. This will insure that the chain will not become too tight when the suspension compresses.

I just put about 3000 miles on my bike, and since I ride about a mile everyday to work I have noticed the chain looks a little slacked. What is the proper way to adjust it? and what is the best way to prevent rust from getting on the chain.

With these bikes, the chain looks too loose when its adj correctly, IMHO, because the swing arm is canted down so much when sitting. To make sure its not to tight , sit on the bike till the swing arm is level with the ground, if there is some play, your ok, if it gets tight, it needs to be adj looser. I adjusted mine to tight when I 1st got her, its easy to do.