Sign in to follow this  

Not going down the hardcore mod route, what next?

Hi, I made a decision when I started that I didn't want to go down the FCR/BB route. I wanted gains but wanted to keep a handle on costs.

I have so far done 3x3, JDJ and will have standard MRD next week.

What would be the next power step when going this route i.e. don't want a FCR+BB? What are cams????

I have also got small bar end mirrors and DRC tail light and indicators and barkbuster hand gaurds.

What other cosmetic mods can I do? I am after those little things that make a difference.

Thanks Bryce

Hotcams will shift the power up toward the top end. A noticeable difference for not a ton of cash.

I think bar risers and seat are great comfort mods.

Gearing for your type of riding helps too.

But FCR with stock motor is a big upgrade, thats what I'm using now and you get alot of power increase. No need to go BB if you find that FCR is enough. Gearing, cams and compression are about the only other things you can do to manipulate the powerband.

i also am cost concious and will, besides opening the stock exhaust and hopefully some jettin/airbox tuning, go with a 14 primary sprocket.

that will do it imho. 👍

Edited by 1mongoose

i also am cost concious and will, besides opening the stock exhaust and hopefully some jettin/airbox tuning, go with a 14 primary sprocket.

that will do it imho. :ride:

I don't think you a get performance gain in proportion to the noise increase.

Bite the bullet, FCR/MRD 👍

I don't think you a get performance gain in proportion to the noise increase.

Bite the bullet, FCR/MRD 👍

Modding the stock muffler is going to give you virtually zipp power increase and a crap sounding exhaust noise...

What are cams????
http://www.howstuffworks.com/camshaft.htm

To the OP...No rocket science in this story....If you don't purchase performance parts, you ain't going to get any performance gains.....end of story...:ride:

Modding the stock muffler is going to give you virtually zipp power increase and a crap sounding exhaust noise...

http://www.howstuffworks.com/camshaft.htm

To the OP...No rocket science in this story....If you don't purchase performance parts, you ain't going to get any performance gains.....end of story...:ride:

i do understand what you are saying. i have purchaced many performance parts. cams and exhaust. there is no subsitute, really. but this is a toy bike and i am just playing with what would be in the dumpster anyway if i fail.:worthy:

i am working on the assumtion the engine is great but was choked out by the EPA, DOT snd other environmental Natzies.

i have picked up at least 10MPH in top speed and have been riding it like this for a couple of years, no complanits on the noise. i have poked around in various ways to get someone to tell me the truth, but so far no one has said anything bad?

so i am waiting for my Dyno Jet kit as i do still have the OE lean surge in the mid range. hoping the needle is the ticket for that. top end main jet seems fine as i have held it wide open for miles and havent blown the engine?

the JD kit got nixed by my credit card company. apparently they dont use a third party and made the bank nervous?

the 14T primary will be last as 5th gear shift point is around 50MPHish and that is pretty much the street speed i can run. so i do get stuck between 4-5 too often. i am hoping the 14T will let me rev it a little in 5th and if i can cruise at 60MPH that would be fine.

my pal chooken seems to feel like i do. the DRZ400S is a great bike and really only needs a little help. 👍