Sign in to follow this  

Drain plug

New to the KTM world,

I just bought a new 2012 ktm 350 xc-f. Went to drain the oil and I unsrewed the wrong bolt. There is a drain bolt on the very bottom of the motor that I used a 8mm allen wrench to take off. Very little oil came out. No engine oil drained. I then screwed it back in and I then read the book and drained the correct oil drain bolt.

Now my question is, what was the bolt for on the very bottom of the motor for. My book only says to not remove it (but i did), and it does not say what it is for. I am kinda scared to start it, bc I am not sure what that oil is and what it is for. Any help explaining what the oil was and what it is for would be great. Thanks.

I read on a different thread about a 505 that kinda did the same thing and his was just a plug you take out to screw a longer bolt in to lock the crank at TDC when you are working on it.

Could this be the same as on the 505

Was it an allen head on the right side of the motor? My 250f has a crank lock bolt there. Looks different than all the other bolts around it.

Was it an allen head on the right side of the motor? My 250f has a crank lock bolt there. Looks different than all the other bolts around it.

Well there are 2 allen wrench bolts on the bottom, One on the bottom right and one kinda in the bottom middle. I took the one out in the bottom middle, it is right in front of the actual drain plug.

apparently, no one has any idea what that bolt does or is for , on here or any dealer i have talked too. Great to be apart of the wonder KTM world. Maybe having second thoughts, and not getting rid of my honda:banghead:

Look up the part from a parts breakdown. cyclehutt has them, find out what the bolt you took out is called and go from there. Sorry not familiar with the new 350's to help you.

One is the oil pump check spring I believe ,did s spring come out of one ?

Old

But I have the same bike. On my first oil change I did the same thing. Called KTM and explained, they said no worries.