Sign in to follow this  

Sub frame removal

Hi, i'm trying to remove the sub frame on my bike for the first time. I have loosened the bolts on either side where it meets the main frame and the bolt underneath the seat but the bolt that holds the exhaust silencer is on really, really tight and i can't loosen it. :thumbsup: Any ideas on how i can get that bolt loose because as far as i can tell it's only that stopping me being able to remove the sub frame. Thanks.

Get your wrench on the bolt head good 'n square, hold it on there with your thumb, and rap the end of the wrench with a hammer. Sometimes works like a poor man's impact wrench. Don't get carried away with it, but a few good jolts from the hammer will probably break it loose.

If it still doesn't want to cooperate, try spraying some penetrating oil on it. Spray it a few times over a 24 hour period and retry breaking it loose.

When you do get it off, put a dab of grease, or better yet, anti seize, on the threads before you put it back together.

Ok thanks and to take the sub frame off do u need to remove anythin else like the exhaust or anything. I just wanted to take it off to clean it properly and then put it back on.

Ok thanks and to take the sub frame off do u need to remove anythin else like the exhaust or anything. I just wanted to take it off to clean it properly and then put it back on.

On mine you have to undo the carburetor boot.

Good luck with getting the bolt out.

you say you loosened the bolts on both sides of your frame? you are going to have to remove them not just loosen them. also carb boot and mid pipe conection and poss. a breather hose from the valve cover.