Sign in to follow this  

Never had this problem before.

I have a 98 KDX220 and had to put in a new clutch wheel ( the plate with the 4 posts the springs go over) I put in all new Kawasaki friction discs and the steels are brand new. I soaked the friction discs in motor oil before putting them in. I put it all back together, adjusted the clutch lever to have just a little play. It will not disengage all the way. Even with play in the clutch handle. The clutch lever on the case has a little free play as well so It's not the cable. Took it all back apart ...its all perfect. Read the KDX manual. But first let me say I have replaced 25-30 clutches. This one two times since new. Ok, so the manual says install the six (6) friction plates in the grooves and the last one in the tangs in the groove. KDX's always put the last one in the small "tang" in the top of the basket. I did all that. Here's the problem.....six and the last one make 7 ! It had 8 in there and I replaced it with 8. Looking at the picture in the manual, it shows 7 in the grove and 1 in the tang. So....just for grins, I put it back together with 6 and 1. Suprise, doesn't work. Ok, have you ever had new clutch disks grab like this? I let it sit overnight hoping the oil would soak in and help. Any ideas? My next step will be to put the old friction plates in and see what happens. I've never used transmission fluid on the friction plates, would that make a difference? It's grabbing enough while it is pulled in to keep the bike rolling. I took out all the slack and it made no difference. Help!!!

Yeah 8 for sure. Going to pull it apart and measure friction plate thickness. And check for odd wear marks.

Replaced every other friction disc with an older one that still had a lot of pad left and all is good. Never had to do that but on the bright side....I still have 4 new and 4 old friction plates. :thumbsup:

hey 400bird62,do you have any pics of your hybrid any where on this site?i d like to see it,thinking of building one my self this winter

I did one... but overall on the clutch topic, KDXs probably have the mos flawed most weak most flimsy clutch made. I really wish barnett or wiseco would make an entire clutch group... do what we do and that is buy a clutch spring kit and only put evvery other one in. helps the thig out a little.