Sign in to follow this  

Sprocket can't get off?

have a yz 250 (2009) and can't get the sprocket

loose (on the engine, not the back wheel)

do you turn it clockwise or counter clockwise?

I have a 32mm socket and wrench and an

air compression driver, but no luck yet

:thumbsup:

Tap the nut with a hammer (dont be timid) and try some liquid wrench. Put the bike in 5th gear and put a hammer in the spokes to hold the rear wheel (over the swingarm). Turn the nut counterclockwise. If you cant get it off repeat tapping the nut with a hammer. A torque wrench or breaker bar may help.

Tap the nut with a hammer (dont be timid) and try some liquid wrench. Put the bike in 5th gear and put a hammer in the spokes to hold the rear wheel (over the swingarm). Turn the nut counterclockwise. If you cant get it off repeat tapping the nut with a hammer. A torque wrench or breaker bar may help.

wow, dont put anything in your spokes, you will only regret it later.

just have a friend stand on the rear brake and use inpact wrench to break it loose.

I've done it myself, what I did:

grab an old peice of pipe or something you can put over your wrench to make it longer

put the wrench on the socket so that the handle is pointing straight up

while your bike is on a stand, get on it and put one foot on the rear brake pedal and apply decent force

push the pipe forward (towards your front wheel) with as much force as you can, careful to not let the socket come off the nut

once you've turned the nut about a qtr turn or so, you should be able to hop off and just undo it normally

:thumbsup:

Pretty much have done all of those above :thumbsup:

I am going counter clockwise

I've even tried a torch to heat up the nut.

used a 3ft bar over the socket wrench and a 32mm wrench

no go so far. this is with my son holding the rear brake on

in gear and off the stand.

No insult intended, but did you bend back the tabs on the lock washer/flange thing?

Soak it repeatedly in some form of penetrating oil - soak overnight with the bike on its side if necessary. Don't bother RP7, WD40, etc - use the proper product.

Its not a left hand thread either BTW. You turn it counter-clockwise to undo the nut.

Pneumatic impact wrench will break that thing loose no problem.

I always red loctite mine, to ensure it stays in place.

To remove it, I leave the rear wheel off the ground, leave it in neutral, no foot on the brake, just hit is with an impact and it pops loose after 5 seconds or so.

If that doesn't work, soak it in some liquid wrench for a day or two. Then heat it up with a propane torch and give it a smack or two with a hammer. Then the impact should pop it off.

try some penetrating oil like rust buster and an impact, if that doesn't break it loose than you might need an air chisel.

think of your self as being lucky my sprocket is welded on :thumbsup:

If you heated it with a torch I would suggest you replace the seal and O-ring that are behind there when you do get it apart.

Why would anyone put loctite on there when it has the locking tab to hold it in place?

Take the bike off the stand, put it on the ground, put it in gear, get the biggest fattest guy you can find to sit on the bike and hold the rear brake. If it doesn't break loose with a hand tool get an impact gun. If that doesn't do it, sell the bike cuz you are screwed....

I had a fight with those screws too once they where put in with teflon tape, kind of a sealertape for piping. Two I had to drill out. If yoy fight already a good time think of drilling as the last resort. But before I waste a day on putting all energy to loosen them. Needs about 10 to 20 min to drill one out.

Going to my local shop tomarrow, to see if they have

a heavy duty impact wrench, it's the quick pressure

that usually does the trick, mine at home is hooked to an air compresser with

100lbs of pressure but it wouldn't do it. No lock tight on

the nut, probably just got carried away with tightening it

The guy is right about you don't need to over tighten because you have a

lock washer to bend over and hold it anyway. I just have every other bolt

and nut always fallinb off my bike if I don't tighten enough.