Sign in to follow this  

some people

bought a 2002 cr250 about a month ago...picked her up for 1400 bucks said he just rebuilt it only problem was the counter shaft seal was leaking so ok easy fix. fixed that bike runs alright rode it about 8-9 times in the woods, track pretty hard. eats a little coolant everytime i ride it but not a whole lot figured its the head studs backing out like the cr's usually do.. didnt think to much of started her up yesterday ran for about 10 seconds than locks right up im thinking *** mate.. ripped her all apart and the piston was in backwards power valve port caught a ring messed my cylinder up bad.. guy claimed he was a helicopter mechanic when i bought it. i wouldnt trust and helicopter he worked on lol

Lesson learned. After buying a new bike take a look at the top end through the intake and exhaust at a minimum. Backwards piston, huh? It must have ran like ass?

seeing as helicopters dont use 2 stroke engines, i have a hard time seeing how any of that really matters. he could of been a great helicopter mechanic but didnt realize there was a proper way to install a piston in a 2 stroke engine, or maybe he did but used a wiseco piston and didnt think about how the arrow on a wiseco goes on the exhaust side while the oem goes on the intake side.

the guy probably works on turbine powered helicopters. i bet the workmanship was titties, he just didnt have the proper 2 stroke knowledge that you should have before doing some jobs. every one thats had some time doing 2 stroke top ends knows the ring ends go towards the intake, but if youve never seen a 2 stroke piston you wouldnt know you did anything wrong until the thing blew up...

just sayin.

hope it isnt too costly getting the cylinder fixed. go get it ported 👍