Sign in to follow this  

200 Powervalve Timing

Is there any way of modifying the timing mechanism for the powervalve to make it open sooner? I have a 2008 200 XC. If not, is there a different timer that can be sourced form an older 200 or an SX model that hits sooner? Has anyone ever done this?

Is there any way of modifying the timing mechanism for the powervalve to make it open sooner? I have a 2008 200 XC. If not, is there a different timer that can be sourced form an older 200 or an SX model that hits sooner? Has anyone ever done this?

We haven't confirmed it, but the 144/125 has a different centrifugal timer part # than the 200. Joe has the 144 and 125 assemblies and both have different color paint on them. From dealing with this 144/200 mod, it seems the PV opens sooner, quicker than the 200 I had. I have to run the mark higher up to keep the bottom end response I am used to. It feels as the PV opens easier (lighter spring), which affects the low end pull. I hope to do some testing sometime soon and will if Joe sent me the springs.

If you simply want it to hit sooner, run the mark down about a turn (clockwise) and give it a whirl.

Yep, there is different color spray paint on them springs making me think they must be different. However, whatever you have you have a lot of room for adjustment so adjust that sucker. Go from one end to the other and try it out,, see what you like. I would bet anyone will find the happy spot with what they have.

Joe..............

I think so too.

I need to look into exactly how the system works to know exactly what part the springs play.

We haven't confirmed it, but the 144/125 has a different centrifugal timer part # than the 200. Joe has the 144 and 125 assemblies and both have different color paint on them. From dealing with this 144/200 mod, it seems the PV opens sooner, quicker than the 200 I had. I have to run the mark higher up to keep the bottom end response I am used to. It feels as the PV opens easier (lighter spring), which affects the low end pull. I hope to do some testing sometime soon and will if Joe sent me the springs.

If you simply want it to hit sooner, run the mark down about a turn (clockwise) and give it a whirl.

My adjustment mark was even with the top stationary mark (stock). I went 2 turns in and it made a big difference. Take some pictures of the mechanism when you do it. I never had the engine apart yet so I don't even know what it looks like.

Yep, there is different color spray paint on them springs making me think they must be different. However, whatever you have you have a lot of room for adjustment so adjust that sucker. Go from one end to the other and try it out,, see what you like. I would bet anyone will find the happy spot with what they have.

Joe..............

I have gone 2 turns in but I should try to adjust it further just to see how it feels. My bike seems to hit really late. Let us know what you find with the springs. Thanks.

I have gone 2 turns in but I should try to adjust it further just to see how it feels. My bike seems to hit really late. Let us know what you find with the springs. Thanks.

adjust a quarter turn at a time. check your inspection window to see where the mark is after 2 turns. The best setting I found was just above halfway between the marks. Too low and it got sluggish, same as too high.

I have a pictorial of the PV assembly in the FAQ, on the cylinder side.

adjust a quarter turn at a time. check your inspection window to see where the mark is after 2 turns. The best setting I found was just above halfway between the marks. Too low and it got sluggish, same as too high.

I have a pictorial of the PV assembly in the FAQ, on the cylinder side.

Thanks. Mine is still quite a bit higher than half way between the two marks. I need to experiment a little more.