Sign in to follow this  

Advice on rims for KX 125

I have to replace the rims on my bike. It's a 1999 KX 125 and I would like to be able to get them assembled with bearings etc.. So far I can't seem to find much. I've never had to replace rims before so I am a little confused. Not sure what is a good buy, or bad and haven't found much of anything to fit my bike. My oem ones that are on now are trashed, at least the rear, and I don't like the round look of them.

I had a KTM that had DNA 's on it and I really liked those, but can't seem to find them for my bike. I really was surprised at the cost of what I did find, I've paid less for whole bikes!

If you're looking for rims all laced up with spokes, hubs, bearings installed (as your post indicated), best look for used as mentioned. Buying new will cost you more than you could pick up another 99 125 for.

juliend, it appears that you are correct, in my area I might be able to afford two bikes for the cost, Ha. Kdx, yes I would like to have the hub, spokes, everything ready to mount the tires. I need two new tires also, but that is a question for another day. As far as the round rim, 95% of my riding is sand, we live/ride within 30 miles of Lake Michigan, all sand and glacial strye, no mud here.

Kawie, those are some awesome rims/hubs. Thanks for the links, anyone have a clue what the DNA's cost? My old KTM came with them, don't have that bike anymore, but those were cool. I will try ebay, and as always advice and ideas are greatly appreciated.

I have a nice '03 125 complete rear wheel I bought to use on my KDX but changed my mind and shoved it in a corner. I'm not much for selling stuff and it's just collecting dust here now. Shoot me a PM if interested and I'll cut you a good deal.

It won't fit a 99, 2003+ HAVE A 25mm ID bearing, not 20mm.

Just get on eBay and buy some used ones.

A set of new WHEELS (not rims) is over $1,000 (or more than what your bike must be worth or a similar 13 year old KX125).... just look for some used wheels.

Thanks kroynon, and big thanks to KDX for the quick response on the difference. You are absolutely right on the overall cost far exceeds the true dollare value of the bike, it's worth a lot to me, but for that I'd rather buy a whole bike.

I found a rear complete on ebay, if I can get it close to my bid it would be 130 or so shipped. Has rotor, spacers, axle and bearings and a tire on it. I wouldn't expect to be able to use the bearings, but it would give me a few spare parts. I'm know thinking I may not purchase a front and see if that one is salvagable.

It won't fit a 99, 2003+ HAVE A 25mm ID bearing, not 20mm.

I thought it was an 03 but I guess it's not 'cause it has a 20 mm axle. IDK. Maybe an 02 then. I guess it can keep collectin dust lol.

Anyone know for sure that the 01 wheels will fit a 99? I'm under the impression that 98-02 are all very similar?