Sign in to follow this  

2001 wr250f timing specs

I have a 2001 wr250. I love the bike but I took the cams

Out to replace a circle clip and now I can't seem to get the

Timing dialed back in right. Does anyone know hOw I should set it back?:thumbsup:

Did you change the cam sprockets compared to the actual cam? (I don't know if that's possible, I'm not entirely sure what you replaced) If you didn't, essentially you have to line up the markings on the sprocket with the top of the cylinder head. I've found that the exhaust cam never lines up just right but I've read that there should be 13 pins in the chain between the top of the exhaust and intake cams. it should go without saying but make sure the pistons at top dead centre too.

That helps out immensely. I've rebuilt lots of chevy 350s and 454s

but I'm new to bikes. How do I align the crank to top dead center?

oh...well, your in for a treat! essentially your bike is a yz race bike built for trails right (I have the exact same bike) first to answer your question...there are 2 plugs on the flywheel cover.(one for viewing, one for turning the motor over) use a deep socket to turn the motor over until the tdc mark lines up in the upper hole. then your at tdc.

now, if your looking for free power you can turn your exhaust cam clockwise one link( 12 pins between sprocket tops) this will give you yz cams...the only difference between a yz top end and a wr is the punch mark on the exhaust cam.

these are sweet bikes and really easy motors to work on

Right on! This just made my life alot easier. One more dumb question though.

Which mark On the flywheel is the tdc? I'm seeing O Hl markings

no worrys...I was just couldn't remember what the marks looked like again...thanks for the reminder. its the I of the Hl...

Go off the I. The I--I is for ignition timing. Make sure you are TDC on the compression stroke. The lobes will be pointing at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock