Sign in to follow this  

Looking for 2006 KLR650 value

Hey all. I'm a DRZ owner and joined up to lurk and get info but I definitely have a question to ask!

I'm looking at taking a 2006 KLR650 in on trade. I'm waiting to gather more information from the owner but here is the original PM (on another forum) that the owner sent me:

I have a 2006 Kawasaki KLR-650 (dual sport) motorcycle, clear title, about 10,000 - 15,000 miles runs great that I'd be willing to trade you. I can throw 400 bucks into the deal too ... thats all I have to offer, thought I would give it a shot, good luck with your sale. (to me, haha)

One thing that stuck out to me is the 10,000-15,000 miles part. Is there no odometer or could there have been a change out of the display/computer/odometer?

I'm seeing more CCs obviously but does anyone have any comparison experience between the KLR 650 and DRZ400?

Thanks a lot!

More information from the original owner:

I'll try and send you some pics tomorrow. It has an aftermarket gas tank by IMS (they make the gas tanks for the baja bikes) that holds 6.6 gallons, it has and IMS shifter lever, Renthal fat bar, ASV clutch lever and dunlop 606 tires. Its ben maintained very well, oil changed every 2000 miles. I replaced the fork seals last month as they were leaking. All of the original bodywork was remvoed because my friend is an idiot and wanted to make it look "cooler" now it looks like frankenstein. The downsides are that it is dirty, the headlight is burned out (needs a new bulb, but I can fix this before you buy it), and when the very first valve checck was done (my friend bought this new, then sold it to my dad, who sold it to my brother who sodl it to me, so I know its whole history) we broke one of the valve cover bolts so the valve cover is only being held on by 3 of the 4 bolts, never been and issue but its always better to know about that kind of thing in advance. Chain is new as well, and it also has a FMF exhaust pipe that has a dent in it and needs to be repacked if you ask me.

It is a liquid cooled (we were living in vegas when we bought these, he bought his new when I bought mine new so this bike is the sister to my old one that was stolen), so yeah, liquid cooled, electric start (starts everytime, no issues) carberated (as are most dual sports) 650cc single cylender wet clutch dual purpose motorcycle. Gets great gas mileage, I used mine in vegas every day for 2 years, i've used this one all summer long.

Almost forgot, the speedometer quit working like 3 weeks ago so you can't tell how fast you are going. Clean title, in hand. I'm 6" tall and I can put both my feet down flat on the groud but short people have a problem with this, so that could be an issue. Other than that, the bike is great, I'll shoot you some picks. If you did decide to go though with this I could ride the bike to wherever you are (it will cruise comfortably at 70 so interstates are no problem).

klr is quite a bit heavier than the drz... drz suspension is a big step better, but the klr can be fixed for about 8-900 bucks (you can do some low buck things to make it better, but to have it as good as the Z will cost ya, and yes it can be done). the klr is much better on the hiway & even though the stock seat sucks, it's better than the bit of butt-floss the drz has. if you are going off road a lot, especially in sand get the Z. if you see adventure touring in your future, camping trips, etc, get the klr

both need a 6th gear

as for the broken cover bolt... that's hard to fix. there isn't much metal there & may need a weld

what kills the speedo is usually installing the front wheel wrong... there are 2 drive tabs that have to go into the hub when the wheel is fitted & when done wrong the tabs get bent. easy fix... flatten out the tabs. also common for the cable housing to come off the back of the instrument... once in a while the cable breaks too.