Sign in to follow this  

1982 Honda XR500R?

I'm looking for my first bike and found a 82 Honda XR500R, reasonably priced, and didn't know if that would be good for a first bike?

Seems I hear the XRs are bulletproof.

A 500 would be great but .....unless you can wrench or rebuild I would look for something more current .

If your a heavier person, it would be a good bike. I owned 2 but the other was 1984. A heavier machine than a newer one, but no lack of power at all. If you can find a front disc brake system to add to it from maybe someone parting out a 1984, get it. That is the bike your looking at weakest point.

If your a heavier person, it would be a good bike. I owned 2 but the other was 1984. A heavier machine than a newer one, but no lack of power at all. If you can find a front disc brake system to add to it from maybe someone parting out a 1984, get it. That is the bike your looking at weakest point.

At 6'3" 255 lbs, I'm a pretty heavy person. I read on one site that smaller people would have some trouble muscling it, but I lift weights everyday, so I feel that won't be an issue. I'll look around for that front disc brake, because I'm probably going to get this bike.

I would save my money. My old man owned one years ago...it is true they have plenty of power, but the suspension isnt close to modern bikes and they are very heavy. Its really a dinosaur by todays standards.

if it's cheap and in good condition go for it, they are bullet proof, oil change and airfilter once and a while and they're good! i know they're heavy but if you plan on just pleasure riding then it'll be a great bike, plan on doing some races; find a different bike..