Sign in to follow this  

klx650c not starting.

Hey everyone, I haven't been very active on these forums, but I figured I would post this here and see if anyone had any ideas. I originally posted this on ADVrider, in the KLX specific forum there. I just wanted to bounce this off you guys too.

OK, so I was on the way back from a friends house, and as I was slowing down for a right turn, the bike died on me. I figured the bike was cold anyways so didn't think the dying was a big deal. Tried to pop the clutch in second to get it to start again, no luck. Rear tire locked up but I held it (flat tracking experience for the win) and pulled over to the side of the road. Bike will not start, starter turns but will not engage, I am not completely sure.

I haven't had much time/motivation to work on the bike, since I am limited in tools. I want to take the thing to a shop and tell them to have at it, but I do not have the extra cash for it now (in-between jobs).

Made a video of the bike and what it is doing for reference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob4yxPxHDns

(I am aggrohead on the ADVrider forums)

Thanks!

Engine turns freely, I have exhaust coming out the back, so I know I have some compression, fuel is getting into the engine, jets are okay.

How else could I figure out that the engine is turning as freely as it should? turn the flywheel by hand? with a wrench? Other than using the electric start?

Could it be the starter?

Too bad this isn't an R with a kickstart.

I have good spark, I have replaced the spark plug also.

I have called multiple shops around here, they all say it might be the gas (i have tried three different premiums from different companies, Shell, Conoco, and Chevron), none of them think it is the valves being out of spec, since the engine would at least try and run, just not very well, would run rough basically. I know that to be true because of the dirtbikes I have been around in the past, a couple of CRF250's and CRF450's and a YZ250F, of various years.

I am at a loss with this bike, I have no clue, and NO start into what is going on with it, I have the tank, seat, and rear plastics off now to get to everything. The bike is just sitting in a shed now. At least I have my CBR to mess around on until winter hits! 👍

Edited by special octane
spelling

Now, determine if it is a fuel problem or ignition problem. One way is to squirt a little starting fluid into the airbox intake while cranking the engine. If it fires for a few seconds it is probably a fuel problem.

Mine just did a similar trick,all it was was water in the carby,I had ridden in a bad rain storm,and somehow,got water in the carb,one can of carb spray,a cleaned airfilter,and a fully charged battery done the job,It fired right up.I also shimmed the needle,adjusted the mix screw,and removed the airbox boot,and dam,did it help.

It was wet when I was riding, but I waited the rain out, and it was sitting in the rain outside a friends house. I had the carb apart, but only the bowl to try the different fuels. Could water have gotten inside the carb, like besides the bowl? should I just rip open the it all the way?

I was thinking of using starter fluid, but I didn't want to do more harm than I already have, as in obviously killing the bike haha! I will try that for sure, I just bought some to fix my neighbors quad!

And the filter I know NEEDS to be replaced, but it is a foam filter, can I just go get a cleaning kit for it? or should I just replace it with a new one (no big deal).