Sign in to follow this  

Best Tires for steep loose gravel logging roads?

I just bought a ’11 DRZ400S the other day and took it on some local logging roads and got absolutely destroyed. The factory tires are so horrible it isn’t worth my time typing about it (but you guys knew this already) 👍

I stopped on a marginally steep section (probably where a Tacoma or whatever would still be in 2WD) then tried to take off and instantly dug a hole deep enough to hide in. Every attempt to feather the clutch and take off would dig another rut.

The logging roads around here (Vancouver area) are generally very steep semi-packed gravel and can be very loose in sections. They usually climb up to 2-3000 feet in a matter of several kms max.

What tires are recommended for getting me from my house, along a highway (speeds up to 110 km/h) then up these roads? I will sacrifice on-road performance for off-road performance.

Thanks!

Okay, I understand why on my sportbike (for around town torque) but why on this bike? It seems to have sufficient torque for going slow and can go a whopping 120 km/h with me in relative comfort.

Tires to consider

Shinko 244

"____" 700

Dunlop 606

IRC GP110

depending on size available continental twinduro TKC80

I’ve been reading lots of great stuff about the D606s but some say they may fail suring the above described situations!?

So that your tire doesn't just dig a big hole. I often ride on the same type roads as you do.(about 15 minutes south of BC.) Sounds like you need a little more aggressive tire and maybe a little lower gearing. Also there is some riding technique that must be incorporated. Such as weighting the rear, without going over backwards. Also if you start the bike across the road(flat) you can get going much easier without hammering on the clutch. Also don't use your front brake to hold your position.

Hope this helps

They work pretty good for me, with about a 50-50 mix of black top, and gravel. If you primarily ride on gravel roads you might step it up to a little more aggressive tire yet. Kenda makes a mean tire for cheap. The K760 II

These are more suitable for more off road than on road though.

Edit* I really don't like the Kenda on the front, its just the rear that I think is good! Get the D606 for the front!

No it will actually most likely be 60-70% on-road and the rest off. But I like performance when I go out there.

I used Kenda Trackmasters for years in the same type of riding, maybe not as fast on the road, but otherwise the same stuff. I tried the Dunlop 606 tires and wasn't as impressed. I like the traction better and the lower price of the Kendas. Having said that I am waiting for a Terraflex to come in the mail and will give that a shot. I currenly have 15/47 gears on the bike.

What tires are recommended for getting me from my house, along a highway (speeds up to 110 km/h) then up these roads? I will sacrifice on-road performance for off-road performance.

Thanks!

Your after a miracle tyre, that don't exist.....

IMO..The 606 is probably most aggressive tyre I would want to be using on the h/way........but that Kenda K760 rear would be the go for the off road stuff....

i'm running Kenda 270's on my S. not bad, but will try something diff next time.

they are a LOT better off road than deathwings, but not as good on road.

How are the 606s in the wet? I was thinking of riding my bike during the winter on those few non-rainy days.

Get a set of trackmasters, you'll be happy. If you don't think they are that great, spend 50% more on the Dunlops. You'll probably go back to the Kendas. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I'm like you, living in BC and always riding on wet trails.

you won't find a tyre that will be great off road and great on the bitumen( wet or dry)..

it's always going be a trade off if you want 1 off those aspects to shine.....

The 606's are skatey on a wet road, as most aggressive off road tyres will be...(knobbies)