Sign in to follow this  

Honda Steed VLX 400

I ride this nice small cruiser, need some info. Summer is arriving and I am afraid of over heating. This bike have a electric fan at the back of the radiator. I bought the bike in winter, never saw the fan running. How would I know the fan work, is there a easy way to test it.

Would also know if I can fit a taco meter to the bike and if so, how do I connect it (mechanical or electric). If there is someone that can give a bit of guidance, I will be very thankful. PS. My Steed is in excellent condition, 13 500 km on the clock.

Test the fan by shorting the thermo circuit. Just jump the wires going to (and from) the thermostat that runs it. You could also find the root wiring to the motor itself and power it up with 12vdc (or 6 vdc) right off your bike's battery.

As far as your tachometer, your probably stuck with a electrical type. Probably don't have a mechanical port for a mechanical type. An electrical type will connect to your coil. Not being familiar with a VLX400, not sure if you got 1,2 or 4 cylinders, so just buy a electrical tach for the correct number of cylinder you have.

Thank you Dr Thumper, I will follow your advice. I got hold of a taco meter, it is for a motor-vehicle 4 cylinder, the steed is a 4 cylinder. Any advice on on trying to fit it?