Sign in to follow this  

suspension swap fitment question

I reside in Thailand where bikes and parts are like hens teeth.

Soooooo i've got a 2003 YZF250 with freshly rebuilt, valved and sprung for me suspension front and rear. I've got a lead on a 2003 YZ250 two stroke in good ocndition and I'm itching to get back on a pinger. I've done an internet search but cannot confirm whether I can just swap over my shock and forks from the YZF to the YZ.

The internet said both front ends are 46mm but I could have sworn the '03 Yamaha 250F had 43mm but I dont have any calipers to get a measurement.

Can someone brighter than I confirm or not whether i can bolt up my '03 250F suspension (front and rear)onto an 03 YZ two stroke......pretty please:ride:.

Thanks in advance.

I reside in Thailand where bikes and parts are like hens teeth.

Soooooo i've got a 2003 YZF250 with freshly rebuilt, valved and sprung for me suspension front and rear. I've got a lead on a 2003 YZ250 two stroke in good ocndition and I'm itching to get back on a pinger. I've done an internet search but cannot confirm whether I can just swap over my shock and forks from the YZF to the YZ.

The internet said both front ends are 46mm but I could have sworn the '03 Yamaha 250F had 43mm but I dont have any calipers to get a measurement.

Can someone brighter than I confirm or not whether i can bolt up my '03 250F suspension (front and rear)onto an 03 YZ two stroke......pretty please:ride:.

Thanks in advance.

They will swap straight over. The forks on both are 46mm OB. Shock is pretty much the same.

Where in Thailand are you? I don't know of many 2T here?

Thanks for the response BRM.

If nothing else I can graft on the triple clamps to get the forks on there.

i wish there was a reverse microfische that would let me see what other models the 2003 YZF 250 shock was utilized in. What I'm worrying about is that the nitrogen resoviour shock bladder is placed differently on the two stroke than the four stroke, and will not fit into the frame.

Any other suggestions how to determine if the shock will work on the two stroke?

Yes sadly the four strokes became popular even though for this country I believe two strokes were better suited due to the simplistic nature, ease of maintenance, and cost on the two strokes.

Thanks for the help BRM.

They will swap right over. Just remember 250f forks are 6mm shorter I think in that year. So marks will be 6mm off.

They will swap right over. Just remember 250f forks are 6mm shorter I think in that year. So marks will be 6mm off.

Thanks for posting. Can I confirm that you are talking about both the fork and shock and not just the forks? That information is fantastic to know. Thanks heaps for shining some light and I'll keep the 6mm fork length difference in mind during setup. Again thank you.

As stated earlier, they will fit no problem.

Forks will slide straight in to your triple clamps and shock will bolt straight in.

Where in Thailand are you?

Notice he is in Thailand. Its possible his only shot at 06 sss suspension is breaking in to BRM's garage......

Besides, the "old" 46 fork coudl be made excellent and may be better offroad than the newer stuff.

Awesome I'm good to go on the suspension swapping over then, thanks guys.

BRM - I'm in Chiang Mai, how about you?

Riderider - As it says in the first post, decent parts are hard to come by over here so no 06 forks for me just yet.

RCannon - I think I'll have to be quick to get BRM's SSS forks when he's not looking:smirk:.

Now off to research putting the WR 4th and 5th gears in the tranny like I did on my YZF. At least splitting the cases will be easier on the two stroke.

Awesome I'm good to go on the suspension swapping over then, thanks guys.

BRM - I'm in Chiang Mai, how about you?

Riderider - As it says in the first post, decent parts are hard to come by over here so no 06 forks for me just yet.

RCannon - I think I'll have to be quick to get BRM's SSS forks when he's not looking:smirk:.

Now off to research putting the WR 4th and 5th gears in the tranny like I did on my YZF. At least splitting the cases will be easier on the two stroke.

Hey Team FTB, I'm in Pattaya.

Should you ever get down this way let us know. Bring your bike of coarse.

WR gear swap needs to include 3rd if you are going to use 4th, which is recommended.

I always wished they would do supercross races in Thailand....in the jungle, complete with Cobra's and Tigers. Its bound to make the results more exciting.

I always wished they would do supercross races in Thailand....in the jungle, complete with Cobra's and Tigers. Its bound to make the results more exciting.

Funny you should mention that.

First round of the FIM MX World chanpionship starting 2013 will be held here in Thailand.:thumbsup:

We do enduros in the jungle if you want to come along Roland:thumbsup:

My mate has some casts of tiger footprints taken from near his house, so they ARE real.

I would love to see the tiger prints, or a tiger, for that matter. My thoughts would be the Tiger would scare the King Cobra away.

I would love to see the tiger prints, or a tiger, for that matter. My thoughts would be the Tiger would scare the King Cobra away.

There is a few places around to see tigers. Tiger Zoo for one. You can have your photo taken with them, good luck on that one.

Also up around the Bridge Over River Kwai area there is a monastry where the monks walk around with tigers. Been to both but you are not getting me anywhere near a live tiger without desent protection.

Got flooding over here now, big time. Some of the zoos have lost crocodiles, but hey.. they say the ones that have escaped are not aggresive:smirk:

Ok now I've been looking at the WR gears into the YZ box. I assumed I could just do 4th and 5th like in my YZF. I checked the sticky FAQ, and did a search but so far have not found anything outlining the parts needed. BRM are you saying just using 4th and 5th won't work at all or that its just advisable to utilize 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears for proper gear spacing? Or do i need 3rd because the YZ 3rd gear won't nestle onto the main shaft next to the WR 5th gear (from my brain I'm thinking that 3rd and 5th are next to each other on the shaft and maybe the YZ does not nest with the WR 5th gear. Is this correct?)

Thanks for the help.

I ride offroad in northern Thailand and camp in the jungle sometimes. So far no tigers but got to see a cobra snake and a Krait snake that are both poisonous but no issues so far.

here's a camp shot pic.

593663634_m2mK8-L.jpg

Apologies for the KTM intrusion :thumbsup:

A mate of mine though came across this in Northwestern Thailand exploring off road. RcCannon you might enjoy it.

file.php?id=1358

he said he kept riding and did not want to camp in the area after seeing the tracks, haha. He said there were remains of a kill just off the trail smelling pretty bad.

BRM - I just realized the yz250 I'm looking at is your old YZ250 I think. Imagine that, haha.

Gimme a ring if you're bored on 0879727673.

If this is your old bike did you ever do the WR tranny gears in it by chance since I see a lot of posts by you on the subject?

Ok now I've been looking at the WR gears into the YZ box. I assumed I could just do 4th and 5th like in my YZF. I checked the sticky FAQ, and did a search but so far have not found anything outlining the parts needed. BRM are you saying just using 4th and 5th won't work at all or that its just advisable to utilize 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears for proper gear spacing? Or do i need 3rd because the YZ 3rd gear won't nestle onto the main shaft next to the WR 5th gear (from my brain I'm thinking that 3rd and 5th are next to each other on the shaft and maybe the YZ does not nest with the WR 5th gear. Is this correct?)

Thanks for the help.

I ride offroad in northern Thailand and camp in the jungle sometimes. So far no tigers but got to see a cobra snake and a Krait snake that are both poisonous but no issues so far.

here's a camp shot pic.

593663634_m2mK8-L.jpg

Apologies for the KTM intrusion :thumbsup:

A mate of mine though came across this in Northwestern Thailand exploring off road. RcCannon you might enjoy it.

file.php?id=1358

he said he kept riding and did not want to camp in the area after seeing the tracks, haha. He said there were remains of a kill just off the trail smelling pretty bad.

That cat print was not a full grown tiger that is for sure, a small tiger cub or possibilly another wild cat of some discription.

Tiger prints are huge, like small dinner plate size.

BRM - I just realized the yz250 I'm looking at is your old YZ250 I think. Imagine that, haha.

Gimme a ring if you're bored on 0879727673.

If this is your old bike did you ever do the WR tranny gears in it by chance since I see a lot of posts by you on the subject?

My old YZ was a 2001 model with a 2003 engine in it. I still have the 2001 engine, it has the WR -3,4 & 5th.

You need 3rd gear from the WR so that it will mesh with the other gear, (forget which one) but the number of dogs in the gears do not match with the original YZ.

My old YZ was a 2001 model with a 2003 engine in it. I still have the 2001 engine, it has the WR -3,4 & 5th.

I had mistakenly assumed that both the motor and frane were 2003. I guess that goes back to the original question. Will my 2003 YZF suspension bolt up to the 2001 YZ250 frame?

Thanks again for the info.