Sign in to follow this  

F150 Towing Experience with 30' Thor Wanderer

Only trying to help and share my experience of helping a friend in great need to tow his Thor Wonderer 30' travel trailer on my 2005 Ford F150. The model number of his Thor Wonderer is 285FKSS, or 285FK.

As many of you might experience when a friend in great need of moving his travel trailer to another place without any information on gross and tongue weights, we often go to the Internet to learn more about the towing capacity of our F150 trucks and the weight of the travel trailer and its tongue weight.

I quickly found out that my 2005 F150 with a standard 5.4 engine is capable of towing at least 8000 pounds according to Ford, but you will find many different answers to this elsewhere claiming more than 9000 pounds. There is also little or no information on maximum tongue weights, and I think that is even more important.

It would be great if somebody could come up with a website that identities all trucks and trailers to use as a reference to identify what a truck can tow including tongue weight, and very powerful if all travel trailers and models could be included with their gross and tongue weight. With 15 years of IT experience, I can put this site together if somebody is interested?

I towed a Thor Wonderer '30 travel trailer model 285FKSS on my F150 5.4 engine today, and I might have felt safer using an F250, but I only went 5 miles and did not exceed 25 MPH. Never could figure out the tongue weight of a Wanderer 285FKSS after 2 days of research, but my F150 hitch was pretty low to the ground after it was hooked up. POWER WAS NO ISSUE AT ALL, just the tongue weight and the weight on my hitch.

I know that I have at least a minimum of 600 pounds of tongue weight on my truck according to the receiver on my hitch, but many older travel trailers do not have any documentation on their tongue weight. I just want to let everybody know that I did tow a Thor Wonderer 285FKSS a short distance without any major dips in the road under 25 MPH by a standard F150 5.4 engine. Keep it local and under 25 MPH, and you will be in trouble if any major dips are in your way. Drive the path first before towing!

Just trying to help if you can't find more information on the tongue weight of your trailer while driving an F150 with a factory hitch.

I am hoping that more can be contributed to this thread, and AND PLEASE ATTACK ME FOR THE BENEFITS OF OTHERS.

Thanks all, and take care.

On my 2003 f150 with the 5.4 and 4x4, factory tow package, it has a maximum tongue weight of 500lbs and max tow weight of 5000 lbs.

Will it tow more? Yes

Should you tow more? No, but in your situation, keeping it under 25 and only going 5 miles, probably fine.

On my 2003 f150 with the 5.4 and 4x4, factory tow package, it has a maximum tongue weight of 500lbs and max tow weight of 5000 lbs.

Will it tow more? Yes

Should you tow more? No, but in your situation, keeping it under 25 and only going 5 miles, probably fine.

the 2004+ F150's have a tongue tow rating of 900/9000, some specific packages have a higher tow rating, and a 5th wheel rating of 11K?? seems much for a 7' box, but I'm not an engineer .

Also as a side note, when towing a travel trailer, you should use "weight distributing hitches" please folks make your 5 mile trip safe for me and my kids too:thumbsup:

Will it tow more? Yes

wow I had no idea the 2003's had such low rating, our 04 is 9000+ pounds, we have the towing package

Will it tow more? Yes

Well, I messed that up.

7500lbs is the maximum trailer weight is 7500 lbs in the owners manual. Bumper said 5000, I didn't even think about how low that is.

Well, I messed that up.

7500lbs is the maximum trailer weight is 7500 lbs in the owners manual. Bumper said 5000, I didn't even think about how low that is.

That means the bumper itself is rated for 5000 lbs, but a receiver hitch, you can go to the max of 7500 and I'd bet tongue weight is 750 lbs too.

Do you have an electric brake controller? If not for this short haul, plan way ahead for your stops.

That means the bumper itself is rated for 5000 lbs, but a receiver hitch, you can go to the max of 7500 and I'd bet tongue weight is 750 lbs too.

Do you have an electric brake controller? If not for this short haul, plan way ahead for your stops.

Yes, bumper is 500/5000.

My truck has an electric brake controller. But I don't need brakes on my 6x12, but it would be nice..

wow I had no idea the 2003's had such low rating, our 04 is 9000+ pounds, we have the towing package

It all depends on which configuration the truck is. V6 engine, MT, etc, and the tow rating sucks.

General rule of thumb for tongue weight is 10% of tow weight. Example: 10k of trailer should be around 1k of tongue weight.

Dry hitch weight (per mfgr's published specs, which do not include any options) is about 850 lbs.

Fill the propane tanks, add some options, etc, and that number rises rapidly.

Yes, bumper is 500/5000.

My truck has an electric brake controller. But I don't need brakes on my 6x12, but it would be nice..

on a 6X12, you'd love brakes on it , especially in a panic stop or if the trailer slides, ie ice etc. Easy to install, you can buy the kits, just bolt on and run the wires. 👍

I could tow that trailer with my F150.

But I would not.

!0.25 " semi floater rear end.

11,200 tow I think.

Very long wheelbase makes it track great.

I forget I am carrying the Rzr sometimes.

Drives very smooth also, load or not.

PICT0010.jpg

the 2004+ F150's have a tongue tow rating of 900/9000, some specific packages have a higher tow rating, and a 5th wheel rating of 11K?? seems much for a 7' box, but I'm not an engineer .

Also as a side note, when towing a travel trailer, you should use "weight distributing hitches" please folks make your 5 mile trip safe for me and my kids too:thumbsup:

This, the leveling hitches help alot and if you have the springs in the rear to support it you can upgrade your hitch to handle more.