Sign in to follow this  

Swamp Proofing Carb Vent Rerouting Concern

Hi everyone,

just wanted to bring something forward regarding one of the swamp proofing mods. I'm referring to re-routing one set of the carb vent hoses to the top of the airbox so that the carb can keep breathing when deep water is hit.

I've started riding single track, pretty gnarly trails, and have taken some serious spills. I guess in hindsight now it's pretty obvious, but in a fall where the bike ends up almost upside down, significant gas will flow out through those rerouted hoses, and then right down to the hot exhaust (in my few cases it flowed out the along the rear fender and nearly on to the exhaust).

Just wanted to point that out in the case that someone did this mod and then ride terrain that could put them in precarious upside down situations. I rerouted my hoses to avoid this massive gas flow leaking out (and potentially starting a forest fire!). Thanks and any comments are welcome.

On my 2009 WR-250F, mine are routed directly behind the steering head area, sitting under the short coolant hose that connects the radiators.

This is not stock routing.

Stock routing has all four breather hoses running down near the swingarm pivot.

I'm using routing where the lower two vent hoses go toward the swingarm pivot, and the upper two up toward the steering head.

The routing I'm using has worked well and without trouble for two years and counting.

Ok, I think the steering head is a better idea because in the event the bike flips over, at least the gas coming out won't flow towards something that's hot and could cause a fire.

Right, I followed either your write up or AV's... That's basically what I did but what happened is I climbed up a hill, didn't make it all the way, and the biked ended up wheels upward type thing, and gas kept coming out of those lines and along the back fender...

For safety reasons I think routing them under the gas tank is a better idea.

that is no different, if the bike it upside down fuel will come out somewhere!

and now you have put it coming out near the glowing red header....nice! how do you plan on putting out the fire?

+1. Route the top 2 hoses into the airbox. Either side of the shock mount (top) and into the box thru' the snorkel plate.

ddf17cd3.jpg