Sign in to follow this  

yz450f plastics on yz125

I'm trying to give my 125 a newer look and I was wonder if it's possible to put a front and rear fender, including the number plate from a newer yz450f onto a 1998 yz125? I know it's easy to do the front fender but I'm not sure if the rear fender and number plate would line up. Thanks

anyone?? i know i would have to drill new wholes for the front fender but could i use the number plate i have now or would i need a new one? And if i needed a new one would i have to modify it to fit? Any info on the rear fender would also be helpful too.

Rear fender will most likely not work, or will need extensive modifications which might not look good.

Front fender is easy, and I'd say numberplate would need to be changed, which would require some sort of custom bracket since they don't bolt up the same.

There has to be some one to be someone that knows more about this. I know people have done it so if anyone has any more information about this please let me know

There has to be some one to be someone that knows more about this. I know people have done it so if anyone has any more information about this please let me know
I put a '09 YZF rear fender on our '06 YZ; a lot of work for something that looked slip-shod, IMO. :ride:

Plus, the style of the '96 thru '01 rear bodywork is pretty hard to improve upon, again, IMHO. A clean, classy design. 👍

Get a new-style front fender and number plate, and maybe graft on a '02 & up YZ fuel tank. Not too hard to do, and there are lots of threads on those.

Or ask VD Laar to put something together for you. A couple thousand dollars and you'll be styling!

Doing just the front number plate and fenders won't make a huge difference in the look of the bike. You would probably be happier by getting new fenders and reshaping them. I saw a fellow at the track a few weeks back that had a steel frame YZ250 that he trimmed and reshaped the fenders and side panels. Not a huge change, but enough that you knew something was different. It looked alright, but wasn't my cup-o-tea.

If you really want to change the look of your bike, replace all of the plastics (tank, seat, side panels, fenders, airbox, front number plate and subframe) with the newer stuff. Given the time, money and fabrication skills, this mod could be done and done to look like it came from the factory. If you don't take the time and put in the effort, you will have a frankenbike that looks like a frankenbike. If you have all of the 450 plastics, seat, tank and airbox sitting on a bench and a welder and some time, then by all means give it a go and take a ton pics of your project. But if you don't know how to weld or fabricate, your best bet would be to get some new plastics for your bike and graphics that you really like.

Yea i figured that the rear fender wouldn't work out but it was worth a shot. So with the number plate can i easily get a 450 one to fit or would i be better off using the stock one?