Sign in to follow this  

2 stroke pipe guard

For what I do, I say no, it isn't worth it. I have 3 aluminum ones in my garage that prove I tried it.

Generally, I am hitting big things that do a lot of damage. All 3 of my guards are broken, the aluminum having been sheared or bent to the point of breaking. I feel that on big hits, the aluminum will help the pipe not ding, but the pressure spread out on the rest of the pipe forces it to bend.

I have never run the carbon fiber guards, but I have seen the damage to other pipes on people I ride with. One person in particular had a bike running like crap. We scoured the bike looking for what was wrong, and it wasn't until we took off the pipe, still with the guard on it, that we saw it was crushed and bent. It surprised all of us to see that bad of damage. The funny thing is that the carbon fiber had popped back into place, making it look like there was nothing wrong with the pipe.

For certain purposes, I would think they have their place, just not for me.

Or you could just get a 4 stroke and not worry about denting your pipe.

Or you could just get a 4 stroke and not worry about denting your pipe.

Yeah, getting a slower, heavier, higher maintenance bike sounds like a great idea.

• Like 1

my experience with them, they stop little rock dings

big hits will smash the pipe anyway, and the guard, I'm thinking about trying a Hyde setup for my gasgas

hp_exg_78_r_h.jpg

my experience with them, they stop little rock dings

big hits will smash the pipe anyway, and the guard, I'm thinking about trying a Hyde setup for my gasgas

hp_exg_78_r_h.jpg

Yeah I've seen those and have considered it too.

Here is a cool custom one: http://www.eawarehouse.com/rbc/exguard.htm

I've also seen some cool custom ones with full cages that surround the pipe. Wish I could make something like that.

that exguard looks pretty cool, I might build one, I already have an aluminum skidplate I can use as a template for half of it

I dont have an aluminum welding setup, I think it's easier to use a torch and braze/weld anyway, and you can rent those pretty cheap, or get a little lincon portable torch at home depot or harbor freight

when i was on a 2 stroke i diddent do alot of woods riding, but im my opinion i wont buy a pipe guard that costs more than half of what the pipe is worth. i had the eline, ran it for season, guard started to fray on the edges and my platnum pipe has nicks in the finish and was starting to rust. (not the guards fault). so i ended up buying a new pipe anyways. i just took my chances in the end

BTW.....i have smashed more headers on my four strokes than i did on two strokes for some reason. i enjoy the feature on my yz450 having the header tucked away :thumbsup: