Sign in to follow this  

02 parts compatability (swingarm, rear caliper carrier, subframe)

Hey guys whats up. My brother has an 02 YZ250. His swingarm and rear brake carrier are toast along with his subframe which has a hole worn thru it. I was looking up the part numbers and it appears that 02 is a unique year even though they appear to be the same generation from 02-04. It also seems like any 02 (YZ YZF or WR) swingarm has the same part number. My question is will other year swingarms (possibly 03 and 04 and YZ YZF WR) work on his 02? Same question for the rear brake carrier and subframe. Thanks

I have a 2002 and 2010 YZ250.

The swing arm, subframe, and all the plastic except the front number plate and fork guards are a direct swap with zero issues.

The brake caliper is smaller on my newer bike, but it and the wheel will bolt right up.

The swingarm changed (new one is lighter) but it bolts up and looks exactly the same. I have a 2003 swing arm on my 2002.

Four stroke swing arms and brakes will work, but the plastic and subframes are not even close. In 2009, the four stroke swing arm, wheel, and rear caliper carrier changed... they will not work with a two stroke unless you get all the parts as a set, including the linkage from a 2009 'F.

The swing arm, subframe, and all the plastic except the front number plate and fork guards are a direct swap with zero issues.

The swingarm changed (new one is lighter) but it bolts up and looks exactly the same. I have a 2003 swing arm on my 2002.

What year did the swingarm change to the lighter swingarm?

Thanks I figured a newer swingarm from 03 or 04 would work but the part numbers were different and did not want to chance it without knowing. Whay year did they changed to the newer smaller caliper? He only needs the carrier so we will just be swapping out that piece.

The brake caliper is smaller on my newer bike, but it and the wheel will bolt right up.

Four stroke swing arms and brakes will work, but the plastic and subframes are not even close. In 2009, the four stroke swing arm, wheel, and rear caliper carrier changed... they will not work with a two stroke unless you get all the parts as a set, including the linkage from a 2009 'F.