2001 sx 125

would this be a good bike here what the guy said:for sale is a 2001 ktm sx 125. have had this bike for a few years and now im selling it because i now have a yz 450F. i would really like to keep this bike but it has to go need the money last year i put about $1,800 into the motor it was poted polished and case matched. it has carbon fiber reeds and an fmf pipe. runs relly good alwas super easy to start. dont have any pics atm since the bike is at my brothers house but if you are interested in it send me an e-mail and i will be sure to get back to you with pics asap. or call to come take a look its in belgrade.he also said it needs a throttle cable and a rear fender and the pipe has dents in it.is ported it good.

i need help fast if this would be a good bike ?:banana::ride::worthy::ride::worthy:

Unless you trust the guy I would pass. You can pick up a bike like that for $1K and have the engine re-built for $800 easily. I had an 02 125 and it was not weak or sluggish at all. Handling has improved over the years but I was happy with the 2000, 01, 02 era suspension. The 125 engine has not had a lot of massive change since 2000. Retail value on that bike is $1280, trade in is $805 so $1K would be my target price for that bike.

Joe.........

would a 2003 125 be good with a new top end?

It could be but then again it could be a total turd. The year means little, it all depends on the use and care of the bike. One would think you are safe buying a low hours newer bike but you are not. You could find a 10 year old bike still on the original set of tire in mint shape and next find a 2009 with 40 hours that is beat to shit. You need to go looks at the bike and determine the condition.

It sounds like you need to be reading up on what to look for with a used bike.

With a used 125 of any year I would expect to do a top end.

Joe........