Dim Headlight Issue

I have a CA street legal '04 KTM 450 MXC, that has a lighting kit, and the headlight is dim. I read that the EXC lighting coil puts out brighter light. Does anyone have any tips or advice on this issue? Thanx in advance...?

There's no way for us to know what kit you bike has, but unless your stator has been upgraded, it won't produce enough power to run a bright headlight.

I good place to start is to remove the stator cover and take a look and see what you have in there. Even the exc models have a fairly weak factory stator.

If it is a case of the light just putting out a glow, really not working properly, that is your regulator/rectifier gone bad. It is not terribly common, but I have had it happen before.

It is easy to check by just plugging in a good one to see if it cures the problem.

that has a lighting kit

Need to give us more than that, what light is on it, and do you have any other watts being used? Stock lights can be in the 35 watt to 55 watt halogen/incandescent variety and use a lot of watts but put out very little light. Cheaper aftermarket lights often have two 55 watt halogen lights but can also be just about any combination. The more expensive lights put out a lot more light with less wattage used and use HID or LED technology. It seems KTM usually has two systems each year, a M/X version putting out about 50 watts, and a lighting coil system (like EXC) with about 100 watts total (RPM dependant, but thats about average). Even if they don't come with a headlight, a lot of bikes like the XC-W line have the lighting coil and extra wattage. The MXC may have the M/X variety, leaving very little after running the bike and charging for startups. If you haver the M/X set-up, you probably need to upgrade the stator, or might try running just a 35 watt HID only with a very good battery, like the Shorai 14ah.

If you have the dual system, you probably can't run much more than about 55 watts sustained with the stock system without an upgrade. I'm not familiar with the charging system on your bike, you should be able to search and find it. The manual probably lists total wattage only, and thats taken at a high RPM. It's probably split between a AC lighting side, and a DC charging side. If so, you have a couple options. Rewire to all DC (search for floating the ground) and run everything off the battery. You can then run a single HID off the battery like a 55 watt HID light! Or option #2 run a 35 watt halogen on the AC side no problem, maybe even a 55 watter, and then I'd run a 35 watt HID switched from the battery on the DC side with a good battery. I have a 35 watt HID I ordered for about $40 shipped to replace one of the 55 watt halogens in my Moose light (spotlight), and just zipped up the ballast on the back side. I run the other 55 watt halogen (lower flood) on the stock AC side. With a small LED helmet light (has it's own battery), I raced this set-up several times on a 530 with a fan, but when the fans running it's really pushing it. If your system is not split, I'd just run a single HID system. I can find where I bought mine, but after a qucik search these are pretty similiar. http://shop.hidcountry.com/HID-Kits-s/148.htm?gclid=CKqp-cm846sCFY1S7AodnCTvPQ

Edited by ray

Your 450 has a 2k4 ignition. it is the same on all xc/mxc/exc 4st rfs motors

approx 80 watts ac for the headlight and 25 watts dc going to your battery.

The stock headlight is 35 watts if its the triangle mask and 55 for the rectangle..

The rectangle mask puts out much more light than the triangle version.

I would not bother doing anything with the triangle mask, the reflector is very poor..

I just read the info from everyone about the headlamp situation. My Dad is having healthcare issues and my Stepmom is presently dying of cancer, so I was preoccupied helping them. This is a wealth of information! I just threw out the question to get an idea what to look for. Now I will check closer into what aftermarket system is on the bike. Originally, it was a Baja Designs, then the previous owner said he change it to the current setup, which is a small number plate with a small rectangler headlamp (don't know the wattage yet) and really small smoke LED turn signal lamps attached to the sides of the plate, a very compact, cool looking setup, but I went ridin' the Tejon Trail in Gorman, Calif, and had a night ride and visibility was really bad. I will look for an I.D. brand and part number. You all helped me zero in on the stator, and possibly regulator/rectifier being the issue. I will check wattage etc., and post my findings. I am totally unfamiliar with this setup, and your help is greatly appreciated! ? The cooling system is another issue, and that will play into the charging system situation. The repair manual disc I bought doesn't explain much, so your info is a great help, Thanks again everyone for the info, hope to talk again soon with you all!

Another issue with my KTM is the cooling system. From what I have read, they overheat pretty quickly sitting still. I changed the coolant to 100% Blue Ice, which was recommended by the parts dept. at the KTM dealer at T.O. Motorsports. After ridin' it for a bit, I took it in for a full service just to see if they had any ideas, and they said it is the nature of the beast. Without cooling fans, it overheats pretty quick sitting still, a shutting it off everytime I stop for a couple minutes on the trail is kind of a pain in the A. The shop said the factory add on fan won't fit because this model has the tank where the cooling wings are actually part of the gas tank and filled with fuel, and the fit is too close to the radiator. They didn't have a fan that I could measure for fit. But one post I read talked about 60mm x 60mm computer cooling fans and a toggle switch, I could turn on when I am planning to sit still. But now, what I am reading about the factory stator, I should upgrade to an aftermarket stator, I saw a Trail Tech model, but do not know much yet about what I should get...any suggestins? Since I am already having night lighting issues with the charging system. This bike is awesome to be able to ride on the street, and really agressive for the dirt, desert, and mountains, but it wasn't intended to commute to work like I also do. The cops turn their head like Linda Blair on the Exorcist movie when I ride by them on the street, then they see the license plate and miniture turn signals, and little mirror, and they look like they just don't want to screw with pulling me over, it's kinda' funny to see their reaction, like "what the hell was that". Anyway, I am trying to make this an efficient dual purpose bike, and it just wants to go W.O.T...I Love the power curve on this bike, I'am 6'2" & 220lbs, but 57 years old, so it's gettin' a little harder to throw this bike around in the dirt, it's kicked me off a couple of times, and I don't bounce like I used to. I am sure some of you older guys can relate..."the older I get, the better I was"...any tips from you more experienced people out there in cyberspace is greatly appreciated...except for "stay home in your rockin' chair you old bastard"...I want to die with a smile on my face, and bugs in my teeth, slidin' in sideways into my grave shoutin' "That was one Hell of a Ride"! ...:ride: Thanks again in advance for your advice...? This is an amazing link!...:worthy:

Man, sounds like you going threw some trying times, I wish you and your family the best...

I used to ride a 03 520, I removed the thermostat and that cured my overheating issues, But I live in WA might be a bit warmer where you are.

If you go to a bigger fan most likely you will need a stator kit, that will also help greatly with your lights.

We also have hi output stator kits for your 450 as always we give a TT discount.

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/?page=products&id=48