Sign in to follow this  

98 CR250R shifting problems.

how it going guys? Here's the deal. The last week i went riding found that my 250 was having issues going from 2nd to 3rd gear. for example to get in to 3rd gear i had to get on the clutch and flex the throttle while at the same time jerk the shift lever up with way too much of my body in order to get it up in to 3rd and alot of times the gears would get caught between gears putting the trans in to a neutral state. So after the ride i split the case to inspect and found that the sift shaft was in good working order and had no fractures or twisting. There was also no play between the shift shaft and the shift lever. when inspecting the clutch there was also no significant areas of concern with the inner/outer hub and shafts. also the shift drum detent arm felt like it had normal tension and there again was no noticeable damage. getting in to the insides of the case i found between .003" and .005" of play between the syncro collars, fork arms. and between the shift drum and shift for nubs. after looking at all the parts the only feasible outcome that i could fathom is that the shift drum is burred up and the fork nubs are hanging up on it and or there is play between the drum and drum bearings causing the drum to cock out. tell me what you guys think thanks, seth

fill it up with ATF and see if that helps the prob at all. if so, your original theory might be correct. if it is indeed still only 2nd (ie, even under wfo pressure 3rd and 4th have no trouble either), then 2nd / its dog must be bent or going out.