Sign in to follow this  

timing chain problems

I have a 2005 rmz 450 and i noticed one day it wouldnt start so i boke it open to find the timing chain was incredibly loose and was jumping teeth on the cams so i went through put it back on tdc and tightened the chain put it all back together kicked it once and heard the chain loosen and slip on the cams again why is it that the chain isn't staying tight and how do i fix it?

One of the guys I work with picked up an RMZ the timming chain had jumped. There's a quide on the inside of the valve cover and it fell off and dropped down onto the crank gear. It was jammed right over the teeth. His valves hit and were bent.

The cam gears are pretty tough. The chain is stretched beyond service limits, chain guide buffers are worn, or there's something going on with the tensioner or it's just the tensioner not adjusted right." 05" thru "06" are manual adjust. Also if you ran the bike with the cam chain timing incorrect there is the possibilty of valve/head damage after the valves possibly hitting the piston.

rmzpegger is right. If you havent replaced the cam chain before now your doing great. I would check the manuel tensioner to. You can do this by taking out the tensioner and inspect it for a bad spring and that the set screw is properly working. Then insert your finger or a back of a screw driver into the tension hole and see if the chain is staying tight while turning the motor over by hand. If you have to replace the chain, I recommend a proformance chain not an OEM. I get a lot more life out of them.