Sign in to follow this  

06' yz125 stuck in 6th gear?

My son was blasting down a corn field in 6th and now it will not shift at all. Its probably time for a rebuild anyways but I was hoping someone might have a idea what is wrong in the tranny. So, has anyone else had this problem?

It could be a lot of things actually, but basically something is stopping the shift drum from rotating. I have a feeling something wrong with the ratchet/ detent mechanism. Fortunately you don't have to split the case helves to get at it, just pull the cover and take a peek. If something is wrong, it should be obvious... Hopefully...

If it all looks good there, then you might have bigger problems and will have to split the cases and take a look at the gears, shafts, and forks. Something could be jammed in there. If so, where did it come from and did it damage anything else? Maybe one of the forks is bent.

Was he shifting when it happened? Did the shift feel normal?

He said he was trying to down shift when he noticed it. It has always been hard to shift out of 2nd. And almost impossible to find neutral. I thought I'd start with the shifter stuff first and hopefully it will be something simple.

I had something similar happen on a YZ250 I used to own. Turns out it was a broken clutch plate, and it got stuck in the mechanism and jammed it. Check for that, it sounds like a similar issue (mine was stuck in second and wouldn't come out of it).

I took the clutch out tonight and I see the shift stopper. But I cannot tell what is holding the shifter mechanizm (sp) from moving. I do not have a manual, so I'm going at this blind. What holds all of the shifter stuff in there? I see 2 bolts on it but I can only get to 1 of them since it will not shift. Help please!!!

It was the shift shift stopper. The roller end was worn out. It didn't seem broke, just smaller than the new one by alot. Anyways, I got everything back in and it works. Funny thing about all this. It was stuck in 6th. Fixed that and while I was there new clutch. While doing this I noticed it had no compression. Got this side together and tried the clutch to find the cable was broke at the lever. Tore the top end off to find the piston had a crack in the skirt. Long story short, its now at Eric Gorrs getting ported and new piston. (still a 125 though)

If it was smaller than the new one you put in it is because the ball bearings and outer race were missing from it and went through your transmission. The part you replaced it with is a upgrade they started using in 2007(no ball bearings just a solid disk). Good possiblity that your transmision shaft bearings are damaged. Since it is still apart i would split the cases and replace all the shaft bearings its not that expensive and would suck to put it together and have an issue later. However if you decide not to, if you ever break a clutch pushrod(goes through shaft and dis-engages clutch) it will be time to split cases as 99.99% on the time it is due to bearings hold transmission shaft are worn due to shift stoper bearings being in transmission.