Sign in to follow this  

2009 CRF450 Clutch rod question

I am replacing clutch on 2009 CRF450. Noticed a wear area on the push rod the outer end where the lifter/bearing sits on it. Can't tell if this is really wear or simply an indented area machined into the the push rod purposely. Microfische does not show rod in such detail to be able to tell. Any help or insight into this issue is appreciated.

Awesome. Thanks for the info. The throw out bearing looks good as does the lifter. The basket was knotched pretty bad. Could the knotched basket have caused the clutch to operate in a such a way that would cause this wear on the clutch rod. I have a feeling that the clutch had previously been ran in either a low oil or very old oil condition. Could this also be a factor in the wear on the rod?

The basket being notched like that puts a lot of material into the oil that wears things out and binds bearings.

Id second getting the ProX lifter rod that expands slower and Id be tempted to change that lifter bearing because if the bearing was working the way it should, the rod wouldnt be worn on the end. Not dramatically anyway.

Got it. Thanks. Much appreciated. Ordered the pro-x rod. I think the bearing is OK but ordered one anyway. I am still thinking the low oil condition combined with a pretty knotched up basket is big part but no use doing that much work and not replacing a cheap wear part. Thanks again for the info and help.

One more question on the 09 clutch. When I pulled the basket the center spline gear came right out of the basket and I could slide it back in no problem. I recently did the clutch on my 06CRF450 and the center spline had to be pressed out. Is this something normal based on the various heat cycles these parts have been through or something to be concerned about? There is no play or noticeable wear in the center spline once inserted in the basket but it slides right out.

Talking about the basket. The center spline gear that sits in the center of the basket. When I removed the basket it just slid right out the complimentary splined part of basket and I could drop it right back in and remove it again. There was no detectable play but I am assuming this is not good based on your response and likely the aluminum on the basket has been worn to allow this. I will have the new basket today and will check the fit of the center spline with the new basket. I am hoping it does not fit as is and the basket has to be heated and the spline gear chilled to allow it to slide in. Appreciate your continued help and feedback.

Can you post a picture of what exactly your describing? The basket has a cushion drive that needs to allow the basket to rotate a little so the cushions can damp the power impulses into the trans so the engine doesnt destroy the trans. There is a collar that the basket runs on with a bearing inside that has a spline in it, The spline is driven by the inner hub via the clutch plates from the basket itself.

All this is why I asked if it was the basket or the hub. If the spline pulled out of the hub, ya...huge problem. Ive had this happen on a YZF I had. But the cushionb drive portion of the basket has that collar that should fall in and out. The cushion drive part should be riveted to the basket if OEM, or its bolted on there if youve got an aftermarket basket.

OK. Will try to post a pic. I understand what you are saying. It was the stock basket and the large outer primary gear that goes over the collar on the basket that has the cushions inserted in its cutouts was riveted to the basket and in fine working order. There is also a splined insert that goes into the center hole in the basket and then this insert rides on the bearing on the shaft as you slide the entire basket assembly into place. What I am talking about is this splined insert. On my 06 this splined insert had to be pressed out of the stock basket and then inserted into the new aftermarket basket. This was done by heating the new basket in an oven and freezing the splined insert. The splined insert then slid into the basket and upon the temps equalizing was firmly inserted and could not be removed without pressing it back out. On this 09 this splined insert slid right out of the basket upon removal and did not have to be pressed out. Sorry for all the confusion, only my third clutch install so I am sure I don't have all the terminology down. Does that make sense to you? Appreciate your patience.

Ya, that spline should be pressed in there. Thats where all the grey oil / aluminum in the oil is coming from.

Think about when the basket is hot...the spline will swell some too, but no where near as much as that cast basket will. I bet the aluminum driven plates in the clutch have the very outside edges worn off too from that thing not running true when its hot.

Did the clutch lever feel weird when bike was good and warm?

Yep and clutch operation would basically disappear. Thanks again for the help.