Sign in to follow this  

Cam sprocket wont slide back onto cam

I just rebuilt my XR200R with a new high comp piston bored .5mm over and new shift forks and as I was breaking it in I noticed a very loud tick so i pulled the CDI and believe my timing was off by a tooth so i pulled my sprocket off the cam set the timing correctly and now I can't get the sprocket back onto the cam I have the chain around the sprocket obviously and I used a screwdriver to push the tensionor all the way down and I still cant get it to slide it actually almost makes it, it just needs to go up a little further but there's not enough chain slack

Wouldn't a loud tick indicate a piston valve collision (bent valve)? Also your cam chain may have a kink or hung up if it dropped down into the engine. You might need to pull the left side case/stator.

-

+1 pull the left cover and flywheel. The rear axle can be used as a puller, it has the correct threads to fit the flywheel.

While fitting the sprocket onto the cam can be tight, I agree with drturnip that the chain probably is kinked or dropped off the crank sprocket.

I set the bike on its side to pull the cover and then of corse got the cover on almost pull the flywheel and it slides right back on but the tick stopped and then started again this time it was because the intake rocker was out of adjustment but i fixed that and then on putting it back together snapped the threads out of my exhaust valve cover so im back to waiting but i know it runs!