Sign in to follow this  

2001 XR250 Not readily going into 1st and 2nd

Not very knowledgeable about dirt bike transmissions but taking it to someone is not an option therefore I will have to learn. I have a MSR easy clutch but do not have it in the easiest setting. I have adjusted the lever so that it basically feels stock and has good pull but there is still some drag when clutch is pulled in. Noticed the problem on last ride. Bike does not go from 2nd to 1st or 1st to 2nd without getting snagged in neutral. I did the following with engine off and standing on the bike. Clutch in, press on the gear shift down from 2nd the shifter clicks then bottoms in neutral with my foot still applying pressure will not go into 1st until the bike rolls forward a bit and then clicks down into 1st. When riding I have to essentially hit the shifter down twice and even then it is difficult. Going from 1st to 2nd the same thing. Without the bike running and sitting on it, with clutch in, pull up on the shifter, clicks, stops and until the bike is given some forward motion clicks and makes its way into 2nd. Sometimes it isn't as difficult but noticeable there is a hangup. While ridding it is not as hard going from 1st to 2nd but I end up in neutral a lot. Any experience with this from TT folks would be greatly appreciated. 👍

my xr200r had the same problem but worse.. so we replaced the sift plate that was under the clutch and the sifter it's self. it seemed to solve the problem!

After messing with the clutch I am starting to think it may be in the clutch. When I take off the cover and look at the clutch I will look at the shifter plate too.