Sign in to follow this  

Coolant Keeper Systems

Alright Coolant keeper systems (CKS), do they work, and are they the same as the little coolant tank at the back of the bike?

This guy

WP_000196.jpg

I want to say yes, but just to make sure im going to ask. I have been reading up on CKS and they sound pretty cool, but if its the same as the little tank in the back then I guess i dont need one. Any info will help, thanks...👍

Johny Z

I've never heard them called coolant keeper systems(cks) but it sounds like a coolant recovery tank(crt) and yes they do work. They don't make your bike run cooler but if you do overheat they catch the coolant, hold it until the bike cools down and the vacuum pulls the coolant back into the radiator. Also keeps the coolant off the exhaust so you dont' get a steam bath.

Cool, so is it the same as the tank in the back? And I have only seem them on once on a website that sells them and calls the coolant keepers. But cool thanks for the info.

my buddy put one on his kx 500 its a stainless cylinder shaped tank about 12 inches long and 2 inchs in dia. and he mounted it on his forks. He really only rides in the dunes though so for him it would probably help out alot. But the last trip he made one 30 min ride out to the drag strip after breaking in his top end and threw out his crank bearings so he never really found out how well it worked.

It seems like a good concpt though

The ones im looking at are about 8 inches long and 2 in diameter. I ride in a lot of slow tactical trails and I have a small problem with overheating, and according to the website they help out a lot with slow riding. They are not much money so I might just order one up next spring since it is already snowing here.

that sounds funny, but worth looking in to. Im always looking for a way to save money. I made my own tugger my own bar-savers, my own radiator gaurds, skid plate, and the list just keeps going. since im a hobby metal worker and i work with professionals, its really easy making what i want. Thanks man, ill look into it.

They are easy enough to make out of a turkey baster, a booze flask, an energy drink bottle, or similar small and cheap container.

I have them on my bikes, but I always wonder if it would be better to go without. That way at least I'd get the steam as a warning to pull over and let the bike cool down.

To still get some kind of warning, I did route the clear hose in a loop just behind the head-tube of the frame, so it sticks out enough to see when coolant is flowing.

Thats pretty smart, i have been looking into the turkey baster mod and it looks really easy. Only thing is that since i already have an overflow tank im not sure if i really need a recovery system. but the materials are really cheap to get, and it looks like about five minutes of work, ill probably still give it a try.

Thats pretty smart, i have been looking into the turkey baster mod and it looks really easy. Only thing is that since i already have an overflow tank im not sure if i really need a recovery system. but the materials are really cheap to get, and it looks like about five minutes of work, ill probably still give it a try.

You should simply retain your OEM setup. It is a excellent setup and unless you want to spend money (and frustration), change for the sake of change is pointless.

A coolant recovery system does not keep it 'directly' cooler. When the bike boils over, the coolant is held in the bottle. As the bike cools, it draws the coolant back in. Therefore the radiators are always kept full. A ful radiator does a better job of cooling the bike. So it keeps the bike cooler, sort of.

If you want the bike to actually run cooler, ride faster or get a fan.