Sign in to follow this  

Chain adjuster nut and bolt keep coming loose!

The last 3 rides I have had my right side (rear caliper side) chain tensioner nut and bolt come loose. I replaced the nuts and bolts on both sides and the threads in the swing arm are not stripped. I put a t handle between the chain and sprocket before tightening the axle nut, used locktite and the ironman sprockets and did chain are fairly new...

Any thoughts why this is happening? 07 CRf 450r

Use some anti seize on the threads. After you snug it up put a wrench on the nut and one on the bolt and give each one a slight turn and that should do it. Works for me.

once the chain is adjusted and axle is tight those adjusters don't do anything the axle will hold it in place. I would'nt use lock tight its not a big deal if they come loose I just snug them up a little to keep them from vibrating around. Hold the bolt where you want it and tighten the nut. I'm not sure what you are doing with the T handle.

I agree with Oakhillbiker. You can aid the adjusters a little by doing this too; Once the axle is adjusted and tight, back the chain adjuster into the axle block a little. Once thats snug that direction,you can then hold the adjuster still and tighten thet nut against the swing arm. At that point everything is snug tight together against everything. It wont move and it'll stay tight.

I'm going to give it another try and back the adjuster bolt back a little snugger and see if that helps and maybe try a star washer..

I put the T Handle or 10mm wrench inbetween the chain and sprocket and roll the wheel back a little bit to help pull the wheel forward right before I tighten the axle bolt.

the owners manual actually says to do this but with a rag. i do the same thing as you and just throw the t handle or a end wrench in between the sprocket and chain.