Sign in to follow this  

PW 50 Overheating

HI,

I need a little help with this 2002 PW50. When my daughter rides it, it rides okay for about 10 min. Then it seems like it is overheating and the head is smokeing. Then the bike does not wont to move with her on it. I just replace the top end and also cleaned out the carb.

Since the last place you had your hands in it was the top end and carb, I'd check to see if you have any air leaks.

Whip out a can of aerosol carb cleaner, start the bike. Spray directly at any carb joints. If the idle changes, you have a leak in the vicinity of where you were spraying.

You can also do the same thing to the head, but you probably want to do that while it's relatively cool so it evaporates before the engine gets hot.

Yes, it will cause overheating because it's running lean. Since it's running lean it will be low on power.

Let it go on too long and this happens:

101_1758.JPG

Then you'll be doing that top-end job all over again.

Man!!! I think that is what is wrong then. The piston looked just like that. Thank you for all your help

The old piston looked like that? BTW, the photo failure was after maybe an hour and a half of run time.

In that case, there's a crank seal on the side of the bike with the stator/flywheel that should also be looked at, it could have caused your first piston to go to crap. Did you need to bore/hone the cylinder?