Sign in to follow this  

I need jetting answers for my MXC

I have a 1999 ktm mxc with a 13/52 with fmf fatty pipe and on the straight aways its a beast, but wants to bog down in the tight stuff. The spark plug is a little wet and black. I was wondering if my idle jet (40) is too much. Main jet is a 45. What should I do to help it perk up a bit in the tight stuff.

Air screw adjustment and needle taper/clip position are two i would try first. A 40 idle jet should be close

its all about the needle with a KTM

:thumbsup:

Stock needles are too rich. If you don't want to mess around with the jetting just get a JD Jet Kit and be done with it. Jd has great customer support to help you dial your bike in. :ride:

:thumbsup:

Stock needles are too rich. If you don't want to mess around with the jetting just get a JD Jet Kit and be done with it. Jd has great customer support to help you dial your bike in. :ride:

i concur!

:worthy:

JD is a band-aid on a bleeding artery. Single taper needles flatten out the power delivery.

Post up your setup and details. We can help from there.

I am no jetting guru so I've just bought the JD kits in the past and I've been very happy with the results. I'd say if your having a hard time figuring things out then just get the JD kit and be done.

good thing JD needles are not single taper then, must be why they work so well.

Sorry Mike in Fresno, had a moment and confused the DDK,DEK,CEK's and such with one. Still JD kits are not precise and bland out the power delivery. Just search around some here and on KTMtalk. Besides the kits only get you in a ball park area. To me thats not worth $75 for two needles to work OK. After messing with them in two bikes, I just went back to the manual and factory recommended settings. You know those engineers spend a lot of time getting things right. Every manual I've seen has a jetting chart and needle recommendations in it. If it's a KTM they're even more needle selections in the manual than any other manual out there.

Also, This is something he is going to have to ride to know. Our jetting i.e. Needle ,slide ,clip position, etc. etc. may not be to his likings.

Edited by bentsprocket

I am no jetting guru so I've just bought the JD kits in the past and I've been very happy with the results. I'd say if your having a hard time figuring things out then just get the JD kit and be done.

AAahhhh you're not done but yeah it's an expensive option.

I have a 1999 ktm mxc with a 13/52 with fmf fatty pipe and on the straight aways its a beast, but wants to bog down in the tight stuff. The spark plug is a little wet and black. I was wondering if my idle jet (40) is too much. Main jet is a 45. What should I do to help it perk up a bit in the tight stuff.

I doubt the main is a 45 and it doesn't matter yet. Where is the air screw set, Needle and clip position, and slide number?

If you don't know take it apart and look. It'd be a good to to get new parts as well. Never try and clean jets just buy new ones and a needle at the same time. Parts do wear out. I'd even buy a new slide as well.

its all about the needle with a KTM

Not on the bottom.

Check your air screw. set it at 1.5 turns out and go from there. Your pilot jet seems about correct. What is needle and slide are you running? Switching to a CEK needle and going from a 6.5 to a 7 slide helped my bike a lot.

i set the clip position in the center and backed the air screw out 2 turns and it seems much better. I will keep trying different variations to find the one works. Thank you for the help, love this forum.