Sign in to follow this  

08 450SXF E-Start induction gear balanced???

I read here somewhere that one of the 2 gears off the starter was infact balanced, I don't see any indication of balancing (weights or drill out/milling) on any of the gears other then the primary gear on the crank itself, anyone know if this is true? the blog stated that you need to be carefull not to move the gear set when removing or re attaching the cover.

The main gear that is attached to the crank needs to be in the correct place. That gear is balanced and should line up when the engine is locked at TDC. The two smaller gears that are driven by the e start are not balanced. It doesn't matter where the cogs line up on those two gears.

thats what I figured, didn't make sense that you would have to be careful putting the cover back on. I realize the ring gear on the crank would be balanced, just a little confused as to the blog i read, it stated that you need to mark the induction gears with a white pen to line up when its reassembled.

thnx for confirming bro!

thats what I figured, didn't make sense that you would have to be careful putting the cover back on. I realize the ring gear on the crank would be balanced, just a little confused as to the blog i read, it stated that you need to mark the induction gears with a white pen to line up when its reassembled.

thnx for confirming bro!

It's partly true BUT only the clutch side cover, since the WP gear is also the CB.

The CB on the ign side is the lower timing gear, but unless you do a lot (like pull it's axel) it's not moving out of time.