Sign in to follow this  

Stripped oil drain plug?!?!

On my oil change today I went to reinstall the drain plug when I felt a crunch and the bolt had stripped the threads. I always use a torque wrench but was wondering what is the next step in fixing this problem? Is re tapping the block as easy as it sounds?

Edit: just checked some old threads and found heaps of info on my problem. Sorry for posting another thread

Edited by Dirtmonster
Found my problem on other thread

if it is the trans side drain bolt, it depends on what happend. when mine stripped, the "bridge" (see the photo with the red arrows pointing to where the threads are) broke.. not good. Helicoil won't fix that, as there were no threads to work with as the chunk was totally off. A slightly longer bolt worked for awhile, but the chunk that had broke off earlier was floating around and tore up a couple gears .. I ended up having new aluminum welded in and tapping new threads while the cases were split when doing a new crank (and replaced the tore up gears).

It was the motor drain and my shop has a recoil kit they suggest is the best fix.

i'd personally go with a time-sert to fix the motor drain, heli coil is the only option for the trans because of the contours of the cases. time serts are much more durable, better fitting and countersunk so they'll never adversely affect the gasket surface. see if your shop can do a time sert.