Sign in to follow this  

Throttle sticking open

Just replaced my bars and put on some new grips, and it looks like the throttle prefers to stick open rather than sliding closed when I let go.

There's no grip glue on the inside part of the grip next to the throttle tube, but would glue at the end of the bar cause this problem? The whole assembly seems sort of tighter than before, opening as well.

Or I'm wondering if something went wrong with the cables when they were stretched slightly while switching out the bars?

Any other possibilities? Kind of a tech noob. Would rather not cut off the grips again if I can spot other problems easily.

(04 CRF250R)

Just replaced my bars and put on some new grips, and it looks like the throttle prefers to stick open rather than sliding closed when I let go.

There's no grip glue on the inside part of the grip next to the throttle tube, but would glue at the end of the bar cause this problem? The whole assembly seems sort of tighter than before, opening as well.

Or I'm wondering if something went wrong with the cables when they were stretched slightly while switching out the bars?

Any other possibilities? Kind of a tech noob. Would rather not cut off the grips again if I can spot other problems easily.

(04 CRF250R)

Maybe a cable is twisted or not placed naturally... The cables could be in need of oil too.

make sure the cables aren't pinched or twisted anywhere from the carb up. Make sure the throttle tube is not binding on the bar end. Try lubing the cables. If non of those work, assuming it is hooked up to the carb correctly the cables may be frayed causing the throttle to stick which means new cables.

I've seen guys try to adjust the play out of the cables and it starts to bind after that. If the adjustment end of the cable adjuster is way out where it goes into the throttle, it will bind. There needs to be some slack in it.

Thanks for everyone's help! It ended up being as ray said, whole throttle tube just need to be pushed further out.

I feel dumb, but at least I don't have to mess with the cables/carb. 👍