Sign in to follow this  

Just a reminder to everyone...

Locktite your bolts and check them before each ride.

I did 40 tight, fast miles today only to return to camp and find my top shock bolt gone!:ride::eek::worthy:

I though something seemed a bit funny a few times but I was having so much fun I didn't check it out closely and somehow missed it. Won't be making that mistake again.

Anybody else have any EEK moments like this they can share to remind knuckle heads like me to be more thorough about inspections?👍

Edited by Evmo

My rear wheel fell off my Bronco II once. I forgot to retighten them after taking it off the jack.👍 Like you said it felt wrong, I pulled over and couldn't find the problem so I kept driving 'till it got so bad I pulled over in a panic and the rear dropped and the wheel kept going. Luckily it didn't hit anything but a telephone poll.

i rode the whole day at on a track with a rear axel bolt that was only finger tight. 👍

I bought a used bike and rode it hard right away. I noticed a linkage bolt came loose. I tightened it but it would keep coming loose even after using locktite. I took apart the linkage and found that the bearings were rusted. Now with new bearings, no locktite is needed.

I rode about 20 miles with a chain guide that was hanging on with only the bolts running through the guide and the swingarm, no nuts to keep anything tight 👍 One of the bolts rattled completely free and feel out, the other two we just hanging there. That could have easily gotten sucked into the rear sprocket and completely locked it up. I did a thorough clean on the chain the night before and didn't put put it back on til 6am the next day. No more bike maintenance at 6am.

I pulled my steering bearings out to grease them and only finger tightened the top clamp bolts. Luckily I tightened the stem nuts and luckily it didn't break the top clamp or something. I rode 2 sessions and while putting it on the stand I noticed the bars flex a bunch and thought "man I know these 7/8 bars flex but that is a lot" looked around and noticed the bolts on the left side were gone and the bolts on the right were about to fall out.

Got home from the track yesterday, washed all the mud off, and then i noticed i was missing 3 sprocket bolts! the others were about to fall out, I didnt even need a wrench to take them out

I redid my front suspension and didn't torque down the pinch bolts. I rode for a day and realized one fork was higher than the other!

My rear wheel fell off my Bronco II once. I forgot to retighten them after taking it off the jack.:ride: Like you said it felt wrong, I pulled over and couldn't find the problem so I kept driving 'till it got so bad I pulled over in a panic and the rear dropped and the wheel kept going. Luckily it didn't hit anything but a telephone poll.

Haha that happened to me once. 👍

The only people I know who've actually been passed by their own wheel (in cages) were all using wheel spacers that eliminated the hub centering of the wheel.

i bought some sumo wheels for my KTM and put them to go to the track for the first time without checking all the bolts. the rear disk bolts came loose and ground the rear brake carrier 1/2 through. I was missing 2 bolts and the rest were all making an nice channel through the carrier.

i bought some sumo wheels for my KTM and put them to go to the track for the first time without checking all the bolts. the rear disk bolts came loose and ground the rear brake carrier 1/2 through. I was missing 2 bolts and the rest were all making an nice channel through the carrier.

Ouch!

I had a trailer with a bad hitch come detached as I was getting on a freeway ramp. I watched it pass my truck and hit a tree. All bikes survived. Just broke a couple of straps. Now I always make sure the hitch and safety chains are in working order.

Not really dirt bike related but I scrapped out a couple big camper trailers 2 years ago. As I was bringing a 38ft fifth wheel up my driveway the king pin popped out of hitch and it went rolling backwards down my driveway into a tree. That did most of the demo for me though. Turns out that when I switched trucks from my 2wd 3/4 ton 5.7 powered truck to my monster 4x4 f350 to pull it up my driveway I managed to not close the hitch all the way.

Just finished a ride yesterday and rode 56 miles of tough mountain singletrack but had zero front brake the last 25 miles. we at first stopped and saw i had no fluid in the master cyl. and decided to transfer the brake fluid out of my friends clutch mc ( he has a rekluse).....well, we never did get the brake to work so gave up and took it easy going back with only the rear brake. when i got home i discovered i had completely lost the brake pads, pin and clips. upon further inspection, it looks like i ground down both pistons as they dragged against the disc for those miles. DOH! i shoulda' checked the pads too!

Joe