Sign in to follow this  

Trail bike, 180lb rider

I ride trails, and around my property and I recently purchashed a yz250 and it doesn't fit the type of riding that I do at alll. What would be some suggestions for trail riding, power shouldn't be an issue. Nothing crazy though. 👍 I also don't want a lot of maintance considering I have little experience in motorcycles, another reason I'm kicking the yz to the side.

Sounds like your looking for a Honda XR400 or 250. If you could find one that has been properly maintained it would probably last the rest of your riding lifetime. with not much more than regular oil and filter changes. I've been riding my 03 XR400 for 8 years, never had a mechanical problem. And definitely my favorite bike for trail riding.

The best? probably not. lol. But I did alright with a paddle tire keeping up with my buddies on there 250 2strokes and 450 4strokes. That was on the dunes along the coast by Coos Bay, Oregon. Was a ton of fun!

The XR400 would be great for trails, but not so great for dunes...that sand really soaks up alot of power. I just recently sold a 2001 XR 400 to a friend...they are very reliable, low maintenance trail bikes. They are not particularly light and they produce comparable power to most modern 250Fs.

if you ride in sand your gonna wanna keep that yz you have

the yz also has much easier maintenance than pretty much any 4 stroke, even a XR, those have valves that have to be checked too

if you ride in sand your gonna wanna keep that yz you have

the yz also has much easier maintenance than pretty much any 4 stroke, even a XR, those have valves that have to be checked too

Well, about 90% of the time I'm on trails so the yz is pretty much out of the question. That is a pretty bold statement, because before this bike I owned an xr 75 and it required little to no maintance and I have had this yz for about a month and I have spent about the same amount of time repairing it as I have riding it. I don't agree with that at all, XR's are bulletbroof.

I think the thing that alot of people don't realize with a trail bike is.. just because it's still running doesn't mean it can't run better.. My buddy has had his crf150f for 5 years and hasn't once changed the air filter, his bike is hard to start but he figures if it starts nothing wrong. He doesn't realize his carb is probably plugged right through with sand and shit.

He also doesn't warm up his new crf450x because he figures its a trail bike. He'll find out soon enough that thats not the case with liquid cooled anything.

Yes, genereal maintance will be required with any bike. If I got a nice trail bike I would probably have someone rebuild the engine every winter. Always change the oil, clean the carb, keep it in prime condition. but I can't stand wanting to ride and going out and my bike not starting. Idk, I don't ride it how a mx bike needs to be ridden.

Well, about 90% of the time I'm on trails so the yz is pretty much out of the question. That is a pretty bold statement, because before this bike I owned an xr 75 and it required little to no maintance and I have had this yz for about a month and I have spent about the same amount of time repairing it as I have riding it. I don't agree with that at all, XR's are bulletbroof.

I ride trails with guys on yz's every weekend, what exactly did you have to do to your yz? Mix gas and go?

well, I replaced the plug, cleaned the carb and had someone jet it. for whatever reason, after a couple days of riding I have to take the plug out and clean it because it fouls and is covered with oil. (This is from not riding it as hard as it should be, I believe. Since I ride in my field and there is not many straight places that I can open it up and technical trails) I don't have the experience to ride it hard on trails because it would probably buck me off, lol.

it's jetting, you need to learn how to do it anyway, start with the pilot jet, you probably spend most of the time on the pilot and needle anyway

it's very easy, the yz forum has a howto I think

I'm not gonna argue with you about this, the way the previous owner set this bike up was for racing. I don't race, I want a bike that is going to do well in trails without using the clutch properly and stuff. I just need a trail bike, not an mx bike.

Yamaha WR250F for tight trails works great. 2007 or newer with electric start and sweet gearing. If you ride a lot of wide open sand then you might want the WR450F.

I'm not gonna argue with you about this, the way the previous owner set this bike up was for racing. I don't race, I want a bike that is going to do well in trails without using the clutch properly and stuff. I just need a trail bike, not an mx bike.

well, I've owned a few xr's, they have basically the same requirements for maintenance, airfilters/oilchanges and checking the valves every 6 months. I use the clutch on my xr too, that's something you wont be able to avoid

you'll want to look at xr250, xr400's if you wanna stick with air cooled thumpers

I know that the clutch will be required to ride trails but there is a huge difference between a two stroke race bike and a four stroke trail bike.