Sign in to follow this  

Considering a KTM duke 690...Any opinions? What is my SM worth?

So I have had my 2008 drz400sm for about 3 months now (I Have put 1500 miles on it) and love it BUT I feel its missing a 6th gear and about 20 hp to entertain an adrenaline junky like myself.

I have never ridden one, but from what I have read the duke 690 fits the bill better than any other bike I can think of.

Any opinions on the switch? I am still not fully convinced... It will probably cost me about 2000 to 2500 to get a 2009 with pipe and programmer with 5k miles.

What is my bike worth give or take? It seems prices are really low right now on drz's...is it just the drz's or is it bikes in general thanks to winter coming? I did a lot of researching on prices and when I bought my SM back in april I though I did pretty well (2008 bone stock with 500 miles on it for 3700 after tax/tile).

Its a white 2008 sm with Full MRD exhaust, 3x3 and jet kit with 2100 current miles.

So...whats it worth (give or take?)

BB/Stroke your drz with all the good bits ,done correctly ,and you have a bike that will have more grunt than a duke 690......though the R version looks interesting..👍

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/667/5042/Motorcycle-Article/2010-KTM-Duke-690-R-First-Look.aspx

That doesn't fix the 6th gear issue.

I'd read some reviews. a lot of people who find the DRZ lacking end up switching to the the HUsqvarna TE630 rather than the KTM. I don't understand the model numbers (630 or 690) because that is NOT their displacement, but from what I can tell the Husqvarna is more apt for use on the road.

ALso, big bore kit and hot cams -> take a look at the sticky at the top of the DRZ400 forum for SSW's sweet deal on 50+ hp. Since you already have the exhaust, I'm sure that deal would be cheaper for you than the KTM ever will be, and also think of the cost of a KTM - There isn't a HUGE aftermarket following that is similar to the DRZ. its harder to find things like racks and bigger gas tanks, and they are genrally pricier. If you want more info on the KTM, hop on over to their forum and ask them what they think of it. I'm sure they'll try and sweet talk you into one, just as here you'll likely be sweet talked out of it.

The SSW solution doesn't solve the 6th gear issue, but I don't think the KTM has much more for high speed, so in my book that just means I have to pull the clutch in that much more, and THAT annoys me.

Duke is a strange bike to compare to the DRZ. 690 SMC or Enduro is a supermoto. The Duke is a road bike.

That doesn't fix the 6th gear issue.

Well , That's stating the obvious....👍

But, it will save you some bucks and give you a big smile when you smoke your buddy that has a duke......:ride:

Well , That's stating the obvious....👍

But, it will save you some bucks and give you a big smile when you smoke your buddy that has a duke......:ride:

i LIKE stating the obvious! lol just kidding, but yeah it was.

Why duke? If you go into duke territory, then there are literally hundreds of street bikes bikes to choose from? Of course it's remarkably agile and light being a single, but still a street bike. Also lacks power compared to it's multi-cylinder rivals (just like it matters anyway). SMC is the supermoto version and probably the sweetest bike out there. And what comes to power, standard tuning (exhaust and cam) and nothing compares to them apart from maybe old husaberg 650's.

Well I LOVE the look of the duke. Plus being a single it has a boat load of torque and it starts low in the rev range.

I have started looking into other sport bikes but my issue with them is the fact they rev to 17k to make their 100hp (@15k rpm!) and a lousy 40 tq!

I dont want to spend more than 6k.... I want lots of torque and as much hp as I can get in a lightweight package.

The 55hp/45tq in a 320 lb package is attractive as it does not rev that high so you can get yours power laterally and not on/off like a high revving lightswitch 4 cylinder.

ANy other suggestions for bikes I should consider? Ducati hypermotard is nice but my budget would need another couple G's in it to get one that does not have 40k miles on it!

The LC4 motors are good motors, but they are not going to compare to a 600 4 banger sport bike. The 690 is gonna be more torquey than you can make a DRZ, but still neither of these are really road bikes (or freeway bikes rather). Even a stock SV650 that you can get for around 2 grand in decent condition is gonna smoke any worked out DRZ or 690 any day and be way more comfortable for freeway riding, and something like a gixxer or zx6 is gonna smoke the SV.

That said, I want a 690 SMC also, and I have a DRZ in my garage right now. I also have an old 400 LC4 as well. The 400 LC4 definitely makes more torque than the DRZ, but feels like it has less top end, and vibrates way more. I'd imagine the 690 motor has a similar powerband, but just more of it all of the way through. They changed a lot of stuff though and from what I understand the 690 LC4 isn't nearly as vibey as my old 400 LC4.

SO I have started looking into street bikes a little more wanting to get a little more of a power fix. I really like the naked bike look and hopefully want to find a lightweight bike.

I found buell 1125's are going for about 5k (150hp twin!) BUT its 1700/yr for insurance (up from 500/yr on the drz SM) so thats out!

I got a quote on a 2008 triumph street triple and its 1000 a year.

I tried to get a quote for an fz1 but my insurance guy said it came back as a 600 cc bike (so guessing the vin i took off ebay was wrong, maybe for an r6 or an fz6?) it came back at 1000.

And last but not least...the duke came back at 510! lol only 10 bucks more!

The suzuki gladius is a cool looking bike but its like 460 pounds....

ANything else I should consider? I like the idea of a twin as they have good torque...

its just hard to justify the ktm duke 2008 with 5500miles for 6k when I can get a 2007fz1 with 4k miles for 5k....