Sign in to follow this  

What Do You Consider Riding at Your Bikes Full Potential?

How many people realize the true limits of what their bike can do and ride the bike squeezing every last drop of acceleration, braking, cornering, and handling out of it? Do you think you have to ride at a pro level to ride your bike to it's full potential?

99,.999% of the riders out there do not come close to riding the bike at its' full potential. And yes, only a rider at the pro level does. Some may brake at a pro level or jump or whatever but few do. If they had it all, they too, would be pro.

It's the rider, not the bike.

The best Dirt Rider article ever- Ryan Hughes (former pro Mx guy) whooped a local guy around the track riding a stock DRZ125, the local was riding a 450.

I don't remember the local guys skill level but I know he wasn't a beginner.

BTW I think Hughes was riding that DRZ to it's full potential.

How many people realize the true limits of what their bike can do and ride the bike squeezing every last drop of acceleration, braking, cornering, and handling out of it? Do you think you have to ride at a pro level to ride your bike to it's full potential?

sheez did you grow up in the 70's? This is a deep stony one. This is the kind of question that comes up after the room is smoky around 30yrs ago for me. Only your imagination can take you where you think your "potential" is. Just a few years ago a backflip wasn't believed very possible...now there's double backflips.. It's pretty ridiculous... can anyone even ride a motorcycle backwards? How far can anyone wheelie? How fast and how slow? Over what kind of terrain can you get your bike over? note what trials riders do.. How about how Chris pfiefer can ride road and dirt vehicles fast or slow even without a front wheel.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

i can ride my ttr 125 to full potential. you can trust me on that. i ride that thing so hard and have gone over everything on it. but with my yz250f im not even close to use its full potential and i prolly never will be.

Xgames , probably on smooth tight trails your just as fast on that 125 as the 250. I'm the same way. When you throw in rocks, whoops, or logs the 250 shines. Or atleast it is easier going fast on the 250.

It's the rider, not the bike.

The best Dirt Rider article ever- Ryan Hughes (former pro Mx guy) whooped a local guy around the track riding a stock DRZ125, the local was riding a 450.

I don't remember the local guys skill level but I know he wasn't a beginner.

BTW I think Hughes was riding that DRZ to it's full potential.

I HAD to find that. Awesome article!

http://www.dirtrider.com/reviews/141_0605_beating_dirt_bike_pro/viewall.html

I'm pretty sure I have found my limits, but my CR250 usually rides me. There's no way, at this age, I will ride my CR250 at its full potential. I just ride my best, which is weak for the bike. lol

no one ever rides at the limit. unless you are hitting the rev limiter every time you accelerate and getting your pads glowing when you brake you still have some room in there. But dont worry there is almost nothing that i used to its full potential in this world.

ever needed more power bush riding?i have .at that instant short moment the bike was not up to my potential.however 99.99% of the time the bike is way beyond my ability.

in other words it,s a moving target.

Both those videos were pretty lame....10 minutes of some guy doing wheelies and endos...

Yeah alot of people wouldn't use..like that article proved a drz125 to its absolute fullest. Bigger bikes just make it easier for you, and sound alot cooler too:)

When I had the big pig XR650L, I felt like it was holding me back sometimes, but not because it was a bad bit, I just didn't know how to ride it well, I didn't know how to manage the weight and suspension.

When I got my CRF450X, there was never a question that I would ever TOUCH the potential of that thing. Not a chance, that bike has ten times more potential than I do.

Many of the pro level guys square off wheels and stretch frames without having crashed. This with full blown suspensions soaking up the hits. To me, that is maxing out a bike.

A guy asked me if I think I ride my crf450r to its full potential and I didn't say yes because as fast as I am I know there are pro riders who could jump on my bike and ride it even faster...

There is always someone out there who can ride your bike faster than you, therefore you must not be maxing out the potential of the bike... You are simply maxing out your own personal potential on that particular bike.

Both those videos were pretty lame....10 minutes of some guy doing wheelies and endos...

Yeah alot of people wouldn't use..like that article proved a drz125 to its absolute fullest. Bigger bikes just make it easier for you, and sound alot cooler too:)

Yea that's "lame" the "guy'"s won erzberg 4 times in addition to being one of or the best all around stunt riders... This thread is about riding a motorcycle to it's potential right?

every single time i find myself griping about my 98 yz400f not being the latest and the greatest, i youtube some classic mx from the 70s and 80s and remind myself :

Dudes were doin way better on way clunkier bikes - stop the belly achin n 👍

It's not always about pushing the limits of the bike. I choose to ride a yz250 bored out to a 295. Do I ride it to it's full potential? No, but I like that bike because I don't have to ride it 100% all the time. I use less energy to ride faster than I might on a 125. Instead of always covering the clutch and keeping the rev's up like I would have to with a smaller bike, I can just tractor up rocky ledges and let the torque of the bike do the work. IMO ripping around on a 125 is only fun for so long when you go out on trail rides that last 6-8 hours.

A good example of someone riding to the limit of the bike is James Stewart in the 2011 SX season. He really did simply out ride the bike and the setup, no doubt about it, thats why he kept on crashing.

There is a distinct difference between outriding a setup and outriding the bike. A lot of riders tend to back-off when they don't feel confident and thats setup issues not bike issues. So even though they're going fast and even in their mind they can't go any faster, its still probably well below the limit of the machine itself.

Honestly, outriding the physical machine itself is pretty hard. There is always something getting in the way; skill, physical ability, track conditions, setup, grip levels (tires), etc... I would beg to say only a hand-full of people have ever been in situations where everything was perfect and they were really outriding the physical machine itself.