Sign in to follow this  

KDX220 KIPS actuator problem

Hi All,

I’m a new KDX220 (2002) owner and think I may have a problem…

I’ve suspected that the KIPS valve isn’t working properly so I took the covers off at the top end and tried to move it by hand. It moves OK but when I reved it the actuator rod didn’t move. I took the nut off (supporting the shaft while I did this) and the shaft doesn’t feel “connected” to anything at the actuator end. Again reving the engine didnt cause any movement.

I’m guessing theres an actuator problem, has anyone else experienced similar? I’d be grateful for any opinions…

I cant find a manual and am reluctant to go digging without one, anyone know where to get one?

Thanks all

Andrew

cyclepedia, kawasaki.com, or your favorite dealer.

As for the actuator, someone probably removed the nut on top at some point without supporting the shaft, and broke off the pin that rides in the governor. If you pull the clutch covers you'll probably find the little piece floating around in there. Best check before you run it again, that little pin can cause some serious damage if it is indeed floating around in there.

cyclepedia, kawasaki.com, or your favorite dealer.

As for the actuator, someone probably removed the nut on top at some point without supporting the shaft, and broke off the pin that rides in the governor. If you pull the clutch covers you'll probably find the little piece floating around in there. Best check before you run it again, that little pin can cause some serious damage if it is indeed floating around in there.

Hi,

Thanks for that, my dealer doesnt have a manual and they're on "back order" with no delivery date 👍

That pin sounds to be the problem, I think I'll pull the top end down too and make sure everything is lined up and working as it should.

I've tried the kawasaki.com website and have the exploded views, its the dissassembly proceedure I need..

Thanks again

Update

I now have the manual, downloaded as advised (thanks)

the engines on the bench, the actuator rod just rotates round though there is a stop point.

I'll pull the cases this eve and find out whats going on.

The valves move freely enough until the very end of the travel where they tend to stick, so I'll pull the top end down too and clean it up.

More when I'm done taking things apart.

Further update

It was the pin at the end of the actuator arm that was broken, found it floating round the trans. That little piece of advice saved me a whole lot of trouble - thank you.

Head and cylinder off now, KIPS stripped for cleaning and new parts ordered.

In hindsight taking the motor out was a mistake, but hey, you live and learn :-)