Sign in to follow this  

scapula fracture

A month ago I fractured my scapula and im wondering has anyone done this and how long was it before you were back on the bike? It feels pretty good but gets sore yet just wondering what anyone else experience was with this type of injury thanks!

I broke mine in April (right in the center and all the way through). Between the scapula break, the concusion and the messed up hip, I was bed bound for almost 2 weeks. I've broken a lot of bones but this was by far the most painful. My immediate response was for them to cut me open and put in some screws. However, they informed me the surgery is much worse than healing up naturally. Healing time for the scapula was suprisingly quick. I'm 44 and the Doc's didn't expect me to heal quickly, but the bone was healed in six weeks and I was back on the bike in eight. Still working on strength but I'm almost there! The biggest thing that helped me was to start physical therapy as soon as I could. If you let the shoulder stiffen up, recovery takes a lot longer.

I broke mine in April (right in the center and all the way through). Between the scapula break, the concusion and the messed up hip, I was bed bound for almost 2 weeks. I've broken a lot of bones but this was by far the most painful. My immediate response was for them to cut me open and put in some screws. However, they informed me the surgery is much worse than healing up naturally. Healing time for the scapula was suprisingly quick. I'm 44 and the Doc's didn't expect me to heal quickly, but the bone was healed in six weeks and I was back on the bike in eight. Still working on strength but I'm almost there! The biggest thing that helped me was to start physical therapy as soon as I could. If you let the shoulder stiffen up, recovery takes a lot longer.

Sounds similar to what I did concussion,cracked pelvic socket,3 ribs,lung,and the scapula everything else feels great and my scapula doesn't feel terrible just sore and stiff good to know it sounds like im on schedule.

I boke my scapula years ago and it was one of the best injuries I have ever had! Meaning it healed fast and was the least painful injury compared to other broken bones I have had.

I broke it at the Texas GNCC and withing 2 weeks I was riding and by the 4th week week I raced at the Florida GNCC (very rough, whooped out track) and I finished 2nd overall!

My experience with the scapula is it heals fast and you should be on the bike very soon!

Jason

Broke mine a couple years ago. 1 week of a sling then started doing light exercise. 2 weeks i was on a 5 day ride at Hatfield McCoy. 3rd week raced a hare scramble. it was sore but easy recovery.