Sign in to follow this  

06 RM250 - woods

Bought a very nice RM250 over the weekend, rode it yesterday and the suspension is terrible. Previous owner told me it had race tech gold valves in the forks and shock with (I assume) stock springs. Forks are very harsh in the mid, the first 5in of travel is very plush but after that it gets very stiff. Shock is pretty much stiff every where and tracks terrible. Any trail junk will cause it too kick out one way or the other and god forbid you cross any logs because it will kick up. Cornering is bad as well, front end feels very slow to turn, almost have to come to a complete stop to get it to turn.

I will add the bike also has air cells on the forks. My previous bike was a 2011 KTM 300 so I'm way out of my comfort range. I don't have alot of money to spend on suspension so any help would be great.

If it were me, I would personally go back to the stock valves and shim stack to use as a baseline, and then revalve it for my application from there. I would get rid of the race tech junk. However, you can make the race tech stuff work for you since it is already in there.

If you decide to stay with the race tech stuff, you will need to dive into both the forks and shock to see what the valving is like and then you can post up here. There are many valving gurus on here that can get you on the right track.

If you decide to go back to the OEM valving set up, then you will need to track down the oem pistons and put them in along with the OEM valve shim stacks. If you want, you can also just modify the stock valving for your application. There are also people on here that can help you with that.

Also, the spring rates both front and rear need to be verified for your weight.

So either way, it looks like you will need to modify the valving. If you want to read more about general DIY revalving, go to to the CRF450R forums and read the sticky at the top titled DIY Revalve (or something like that). Since your suspension are SHOWA units, the same principles will apply.

Off topic, but I see you are located in TN as well. Where in TN are you?

Sounds like you will have to make some changes to get it out of Moto setup; springs for your weight and riding conditions as welll as setting the sag for the same. You will have to adjust the oil height that works for your kind of riding and will have to adjust the compression and rebound adjusters to find the sweat spot. Consider your tires for conditions and also the pressure, if your still unhappy you will have to revalve which you can post here and get help.

Good luck

Sounds like you will have to make some changes to get it out of Moto setup; springs for your weight and riding conditions as welll as setting the sag for the same. You will have to adjust the oil height that works for your kind of riding and will have to adjust the compression and rebound adjusters to find the sweat spot. Consider your tires for conditions and also the pressure, if your still unhappy you will have to revalve which you can post here and get help.

Good luck

I think he has already found the "sweat" spot! 👍