Sign in to follow this  

XR600 cush drive?

Today at work I have mostly been thinking about cush drives...

Did the XL600 or XR650L have a cush drive AND rear disc? If so is there any reason it couldnt be laced to my '95 XR600 supermoto rear wheel? 👍

I know Kushsprockets do a nice rear sprocket with integral cushioning but they are quite expensive, especially if you want to start changing gearing regularly etc.

Today at work I have mostly been thinking about cush drives...

Did the XL600 or XR650L have a cush drive AND rear disc? If so is there any reason it couldnt be laced to my '95 XR600 supermoto rear wheel? 👍

I know Kushsprockets do a nice rear sprocket with integral cushioning but they are quite expensive, especially if you want to start changing gearing regularly etc.

Nope,the XL had drum,,,,,,,,,,the XRL has disc...no cush hub though,you want a cush hub get a Rad manufacturing cush hub..or try the cush sprockets..

B

Shame, I thought it was too good an idea to work!

Those RAD hubs are really nice but 👍 bloody expensive!

Think I'll try the Kushsprocket next time I do the rear, anybody tried one on an xr6? reviews?

Cheers

I`ve got one coming for my XRL,,,will be here shortly,,hopefully can test before winter...was supposed to be shipped on Sept20......but he had manufacturing delays...we`ll see..

B

Edited by brianhare

don't know if they are any better now, but they didn't work before.

Broke quickly (my understanding, never owned one myself, but was very interested) and they first said they were being re-designed, then later switched and released them again with the same configuration. The rubber inserts that did the cushioning just didn't last and the "bond" to steel just didn't work.

FWIW

I have CBR wheels on my XRL with the cush drive added on. It's nice but was apparently a lot of work.

Not sure a single cyl 4 stroke puts out enough power to warrant a cush.

If Honda didn't put 1 on the XRl, why worry about it?

klr650's have cush drives and they are gutless pigs. I thought 650l had cush's.

I would love a little cush in my drivetrain on my 650r it spends so much time on the street.

Bit of info,,

You can get a cush drive XL250/600 wheel (they vary in width so some are better than others) on the drum brake XR600s. Left wheel spacer needs the end sitting against the swinger grinding down to at least half it's present thickness....Both metal things that are on the inside and at the back of the swingarm where the wheel fits in need removing and the area needs hitting with a grinder. Brake drum side needs major grinding on the protrusion that hits the swingarm and both the part that locks the brake and the knob sticking out on the swinger also need grinding,, some bits more than others..I've done two..one on my 86 600 and one on the just finished 89...If you aren't seriously DIY don't even attempt it as it's a lot of mucking about to get right...Even when done she's tight getting that wheel in there..I just got it as close as I could without too much grinding and left it at that..it works but the wheel is not a perfect slide up and down fit in the rear slots..tend to lose the front half of the chain adjustment movement.. That could possibly be alleviated by grinding more off the internal of the swinger where the wheel/axle sits but I'm happy as is and didn't want to risk compromising swingarm strength so didn't go further..

Edited by Horri
  • Like 1

don't know if they are any better now, but they didn't work before.

Broke quickly (my understanding, never owned one myself, but was very interested) and they first said they were being re-designed, then later switched and released them again with the same configuration. The rubber inserts that did the cushioning just didn't last and the "bond" to steel just didn't work.

FWIW

I have CBR wheels on my XRL with the cush drive added on. It's nice but was apparently a lot of work.

Not sure a single cyl 4 stroke puts out enough power to warrant a cush.

If Honda didn't put 1 on the XRl, why worry about it?

Yup,the first design had issues,a guy i know got about 10 miles outta 2 of them before they flew to pieces.he has the new design now,,the rubbers are not bonded in anymore,,they appear to have set screws holding them in,,he`s got a Huskie SMC and has ridin the snot out of it with no issues almost a year now.........so i thought i`d give it a try,,we`ll see..

B

Horri:

Thanks for the info, there's an XL600 wheel on ebay but I really don't fancy going from disc to drum rear end, it's not the work (I have access to a machine shop!) but the loss of disc and prob a new swing arm for the mountings.

dubkatz:

Would be nice for a bolt in cush but it's looking unlikely?

MindBlower:

"Not sure a single cyl 4 stroke puts out enough power to warrant a cush."

I don't think its a question of power, (my NS125R had a primitive cush!) more likely when you ride on dirt the slipping rear wheel cushions the forces on your drive-train, negating the need for a cush drive.

It's a shame to hear bad stories about an innovative products like kushsprockets, lets hope they sort the problems out.

I have over 1,000 street miles on a sumo xr650r, uncorked, with a kush sprocket. No signs of wear, no rubber coming out. It's great.

Really takes alot of abuse. I am learning how to 'back it in' as they say.

I had my 91 XR250L's rear wheel off right next to my XR650L so did some quick comparing: axle of the 250 is 10mm longer (Same diameter); swingarm is slightly wider; rear hub is slightly wider (10mm's); didn't check the alignment of the disc/sprocket once I figured it would n't fit in the 650 swingarm.

My thoughts are if you could find a swingarm and rear wheel in a junkyard, and all the linkage is the same (don't know), you could run the 250 swingarm and have the cushdrive hub. Stock 250 sprocket is a 40 (650 is a 45 I think) the sprockets are NOT the same fitment.....

just some checking....MED

^^ digging up the old ones...

if the distance between the disc and sprocket is 10mm that would probably line up well with a 650R front sprocket

As we have recently learned... a KLR650 hub will fit (with some minor modifications) on an XR650L. The KLR hub is cushioned. If I remember right, you have to have a bit taken off of the OD of the KLR brake disc and the spacers need some trimming.

Of course, if you use a KLR hub, you will have to fight off the urge to add a huge butt ugly fairing and a purple seat cover to your bike. You will also spend countless hours searching for your doohickey. In the end you will risk being banished from any XR communities. Be forewarned.🤣

• Like 2

The XR250L uses a disc on a cush hub. Not sure what it would take to get one to fit.

If this statement is correct. ..i have a xr250l rear wheel/hub. I will experiment and play seeing how i have a full xr600r rear end just sitting. Thatd be cool to have a kush hub with a knobby for dirt. Right now my vfr cush hub on my street xr6 is performing wonderfully with 15/43. I would love cush on a 14/48 for desert riding...

Edited by notoriousE-R-I-C
  • Like 1

Of course, if you use a KLR hub, you will have to fight off the urge to add a huge butt ugly fairing and a purple seat cover to your bike. You will also spend countless hours searching for your doohickey. In the end you will risk being banished from any XR communities. Be forewarned.🤣

I'm more worried about my bike loosing 20hp and for myself to become giant cheap ass. Plus I think only Kendas or Shinkos fit on that wheel.

• Like 1

Carter, are you saying the xr250L cush hub will also rob hp? Then i think 20 is too much for saving sprocket and chain wear.

As for putting my xr250L rear wheel on my 95 xr600...

Ive found it needs to shift to the left about a sprockets width. There is considerable part of the hub i could shave down. I would be cutting the bearing seal out. Which leaves a small dilemma. I think maybe i can get the bearing to sit lower in the hub allowing the seal to fit. By "boring" i guess.

Then i could get a spacer to only touch the inner race. The brake side will only need work done to a spacer. I think i can make this fit...

And if it works get a 48t for it and be good for trails.

Any opinions? The 250l hub will go on nothing else i have.

..CAM00025.jpg

Right rear of brake

CAM00026.jpg

Top view of sprocket

CAM00028.jpg

The caliper has the sprockets thickness. Thats how much i want to take off...

CAM00027.jpg

CAM00029.jpg

for putting my xr250L rear wheel on my 95 xr600...

Ive found it needs to shift to the left about a sprockets width.

can u just lathe up a spacer and space the sprocket out from the hub 6-8mm??

Ah ha! Phew! I couldn't figure out why a cush hub would rob 20 of a 50 hp bike!!! I guess if you put purple seats it wouldn't even run...

As for the 250l hub...it needs the tires center line to shift to the left. Id like the rotor to be pushed against the "fixed" brake pad and have the caliper piston push the floater into the rotor...then id like the sprocket to slide into the line in the chain guide. Right now, the left side of hub is right against inside of swingarm, rubbing. But it needs to go left more. So ill mill down 5mm or so and figure out a sealing method. I need to look inside the hub. But im thinking pop the bearing out and bore the seat down into the hub(if there's meat) enough to fit the bearing and seal. Then just measure and cut spacers. Which i have plenty to mess with. Ill be back to this project on monday.